Fuji Tips for buying a used X100?

ean10775

All-Pro
Name
Eric
I'm considering picking up an X100, but the prices for new cameras don't show the same deep discounts m43 cameras seem to get when a new model is announced so I'm considering delving into the used market. Normally I'd be comfortable going through B&H or KEH, but with the SAB issue I obviously wouldn't have the original receipt if a problem developed. There is always the forums provided the seller has the original sales receipt, but are there any other things I should be looking at/asking about particular to this camera aside from the normal things one would inquire about?

I talked to a rep at Fuji repair the other day, and he said Fuji will cover parts (about $600) but not labor (about $140) with a copy of the receipt for SAB repair.
You do not have to be the original owner.
He said this policy went into effect about 2 weeks ago.
If that's the worse that could happen, not much of a worry if you get a good deal.
I have also read that Fuji has stated it only affected about 3% of the X100's.
Of course there are other things that could go wrong.
I bought mine preowned with a serial number beginning with 12 and have had zero problems.

I talked to a rep at Fuji repair the other day, and he said Fuji will cover parts (about $600) but not labor (about $140) with a copy of the receipt for SAB repair.

Thats really good news! Hope they honour that policy in Australia as well. I bought mine new and have a serial number starting with 12, no problems thus far, but I have only made about 700 photographs with it, so am kind of expecting that it could still happen.

I read all the way through through a lengthy thread on another forum, there were a few reports of 14 serials with SAB also. Those would be cameras produced in 2011 4th qtr. I haven't seen this issue reported with 21 serials (2012 first qtr) or later.

I've got one of the first batch that came to the USA with my serial number beginning with a 12A016#* and have never had a single problem with anything. Just an FYI.

And Dave, thanks for your post regarding Fuji's policies. I haven't really thought about this since way back when there was a flurry of posts about the sticky aperture blades and I'm glad to know Fuji is standing by their products.

There is also a letter in the serial number (that tells where in the world it was assembled or manufactured) and it's been a long time since I read anything about the SAB problem, but if memory serves only one of the letters was affected.

I have also read that Fuji has stated it only affected about 3% of the X100's.

Only 3%! In automotive, 3% of a significant failure like sticky aperture blades in a camera would immediately initiate a recall ... No, wait! They would probably fix it quietly with the next maintenance in order to avoid publicity.

Good to see Fuji cover the costs for the replacement parts.

Thanks for all the info on SAB issue. Admittedly that's not the only thing holding me back from a used X100 - the more I think about it, the lure of the proposed advancements in the X100s have me thinking maybe I should just pony up the coin for the new model when it comes out. I'm interested to hear how many of the quirks of the X100 are actually resolved in the X100s. Initially I was hung up on not wanting an X-trans sensor since the RAW support isn't there, but from what people have been saying about the quality of and latitude in adjusting the JPEGs I'm less concerned.

The S model would seem to be about double the cost of a good used 100.We'll,I'll, see if it is worth it when it arrives.

Yep, we'll have to see if the updates warrant the extra cost. I'm certainly not ruling out a used X100, but if I can't find one in good condition with the original receipt (I'm just not willing to risk a $740 repair), I'd definitely go with a new X100s over a new X100. There just isn't enough of a price difference at the moment to justify going with the older model camera.

This thread on the FujiX-forum (29 pages long and growing) contains a wealth of detailed first-hand information (and just as much speculation) from SAB (or SAD) victims. Included are reports of SAB with serials beginning 11, 12, 13, 14 and letter codes A, L, M, N.

(Apologies for linking elsewhere, but they've been tracking this issue for 17 months on that thread).

No problem with linking to other sites. Serious Compacts has threads about it, as well. The one thing I might suggest to any one who links to another site is to spell out what the site is in your hyperlink. Some people become a bit nervous about clicking on unknown hyperlinks.

You're not hijacking the thread. I've always utilized the used prices at KEH as an indicator. It looks like they vary between $675-$750 depending on condition. Prices may drop once the X100s is actually available if the used market gets flooded, but I don't know if that will happen.

Hmm ok well I think I may have found one pretty cheap. Only problem is that it is a series 12 serial number and will not come with a receipt or box. Current owner says he has never experienced any problems with it. He is only asking $450 do you guys feel it is worth the risk???

Back