To all of our friends in the Philippines who've been hit by the typhoon

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
I know we have had members from the Philippines and I'm not sure if they're still active here or not...but I know my heart, as well as other people's hearts, go out to all who have been devastated by the typhoon, so I offer this as a very small token to our friends and their families there. I'm sure we all will do what we can to help.

Thanks, BB. I am extremely lucky my family back home is well away from where the storm hit hardest, but I have a few friends I have yet to hear from. My brother-in-law's family is in a province hit by a major earthquake just a few weeks ago, and now this. My facebook wall is a little depressing right now, but slowly slowly news is trickling in, and a few inspiring stories have come up. I think I speak for a lot of us when I say that we are grateful for the thoughts and prayers and whatever help comes our way.

We (and our famous smiles) will survive.

As I wrote over on the xspot, Dave - thank you so much for your written story and your very moving photographs. Thank goodness you are safe. Please let us know as you update your site. I'll be keeping my eyes on this thread and it's sister thread on Fujixspot.

Glad to hear back from you, Dave. As BB said, if you can, please continue to keep us updated.

And what did i say about our smile? Immediately after the storm, there it is in one of Dave's photos. :D

As I wrote over on the xspot, Dave - thank you so much for your written story and your very moving photographs. Thank goodness you are safe. Please let us know as you update your site. I'll be keeping my eyes on this thread and it's sister thread on Fujixspot.

Thank you All.

Really, very devastating. We lost almost everything. The only consolation we have right now is our whole family and relatives are safe. I pity those friends of mine who have lost their loved ones.

Keep praying, the situation on the ground is improving but ever so slowly. Thank you for all the aids that are coming in from your respective countries. I will try to update you if there is anything major to report to as I am constantly monitoring with people there.

Thank you, Dave. I've subscribed to your website for follow-up posts. Thank goodness you and yours are safe and sound. We are with you and I know the world is pulling for you. Keep on doing what you do - with pictures and words.

Some things to know based on my personal knowledge and information*:
(I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information but this is based on what I personally know and from the info gathered inside and connections we have which I am in constant coordination.)

1. Almost all motor-driven mode of transportation were damaged by the flood water including fire trucks. The only viable mode of transportation is by foot and bicycle. However, there are towns who had much lower levels of flood water, their cars and motocycles are running. 2-wheeled transportation is better because it can move easily than the bigger cars.

2. Looting is everywhere, started in major retails stores in downtown and city proper then to the warehouses. The fear now is it now has been migrated to the residential area in the subdivisions and nearby towns.

3. The source of looting is not only from the city itself, but from the nearby towns coming and surging in. Military checkpoints have been enforced the other day, let's hope this contains the influx of looters.

4. Military presence has been augmented in the city. Deployment of military to the residential areas and towns is needed. Various crimes starting to rise including robbery, theft, murder and rape. As of yesterday, 4 batallions have been deployed.

5. Food has reached to barangay levels as of this moment but still scarce.

6. Water supply is very scarce, although there are some broken pipes that have water sources but no guarantee from contamination.

7. Flooded water streets are contaminated with dirt, rust and dead bodies.

8. Dead bloated bodies must be cleaned up, there already started to do so, but it still needs to be augmented.

9. Major road networks have blockage of wreckage and dead bodies that exponentially slows down the flow of traffic especially the influx of relief goods.

10. Major cell cites are operational but with limited coverage.

11. No electric power but there are some major installations like headquarters and city hall that have generator that people can charge their mobile phones.

12. Curfews have been implemented since the other day in order to maintain peace and order.

13. Doctors and rescue volunteers have started to operate, but still lacking. Better than none. Supply of vital medicines are limited.

The Exodus, Aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan - November 11, 2013 1730hrs...
L1007416_Yolanda.jpg

L1007413_Yolanda.jpg

L1007412_Yolanda.jpg

L1007408_Yolanda.jpg

(sidenote: just noticed some weird jpeg compression artifacts on my embedded photos here, i have contacted my hosting site re: this)

Would you say from your experience that help is getting through? I realize that this is a very broad question but whatever personal knowledge you have would be appreciated, Dave.

Thank you for continuing to update this thread with your photographs.

Would you say from your experience that help is getting through? I realize that this is a very broad question but whatever personal knowledge you have would be appreciated, Dave.

Thank you for continuing to update this thread with your photographs.

BB, it is getting through, but I worry the outskirts and nearby towns. I'll definitely keep you posted as I will be going back this week.

Back