Pentax To buy or not to buy....that is the ? etc etc

I agree, Dennis. Recently I made a point to Entropic Remnants that when I consider the K-01, I think "picture-taking machine" rather than "camera". I think that mindset relieves both the K-01 and me of preconceived notions regarding operation and handling.

I believe I also compared the K-01 to a 1980's Volvo...

The K-01 also reminds me of the classic Volvo 240 series. And also of the Commodores, somehow...

The Commodores - Brick House - Music Video - YouTube

I marvel at the mixed emotions that the K-01 evokes. I can't think of another consumer product that has had such a love/hate response. I am amazed at the people that have bought and sold, then bought and resold, then in cases bought a third time.

What is it about this machine that creates this type of response?

I marvel at the mixed emotions that the K-01 evokes. I can't think of another consumer product that has had such a love/hate response. I am amazed at the people that have bought and sold, then bought and resold, then in cases bought a third time.

What is it about this machine that creates this type of response?

It's UGLY! And, the most aggravating thing, is the silly rubber card cover, that is a pain to close properly. BUT just get a look at the files this thing can produce!

Yeah, the K-01 is a bit odd-looking but I don't mind its funky looks. I just wish something like a Ricoh GXR electronic viewfinder would work on it. Either way, I love using my DA Limited primes on it.

I also don't find it particularly ugly; but I like things a bit square. I have more trouble dealing with the amorphous curves of most current consumer products, including the current crop of SLRs. I just crop it up to being a curmudgeon.

So I started with what I seemed a simple question and what do we end up with - comparisons with cars (ancient Volvo's no less) and The Commodores followed by various interpretations of ugliness. All I can say is my, now very appropriate theme tune is ---- Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (and I have no idea how to link) :eek:

Simon

So I started with what I seemed a simple question and what do we end up with - comparisons with cars (ancient Volvo's no less) and The Commodores followed by various interpretations of ugliness. All I can say is my, now very appropriate theme tune is ---- Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (and I have no idea how to link) :eek:

Simon

I'm sorry Simon, I am the one that started the hijack of your thread. I thought your question was answered and you had made a decision. I guess I just started rambling.

Hey - please - all meant as fun. The more rambling the better. I am really enjoying the thread and thought to add my own bits to it - especially as I am listening to Jethro as I type. My question has long been answered by all you great people here. Should have used smiley face in previous post - but still getting use to interface. :)

Simon

Hey - please - all meant as fun. The more rambling the better. I am really enjoying the thread and thought to add my own bits to it - especially as I am listening to Jethro as I type. My question has long been answered by all you great people here. Should have used smiley face in previous post - but still getting use to interface. :)

Simon

Glad to hear that you aren't offended. I tend to be unfocused and a whole lot undisciplined so I am easily led off on tangents. My iPad using Forum Runner does not display smiley faces, so I'da missed that anyway.

Someone mention Jethro Tull ? :)

My DA40 is getting a new lease of life with the K-01,
had to prise the 21 off first though. Had the old 135 preset tak on it yesterday,
awesome to have bright viewfinder even when stopped down.
Apart from wanting to rip off the bloody door and mail it to Newson
I really like it.
Enjoying the challenge of learning to tune it and me for effective use :)

Pete in NZ

Back