Feedback To GRD IV or not to GRD IV

Chrisnmn

Veteran
Name
Chris Leskovsek
Hey guys, im new to SC, just posted something a little while ago i think, but im definitely not new to mu43 forum!....though i thought this question would make more sense here than on the other side of the pond.

Ive been wondering to get a Ricoh GRD IV for quite long time, actually, found about m43 (I currently own an OMD and bunch of glass which im more than happy with it) at the beginning of this year while looking for Ricoh's. Yes, ive had one in hand, but just played in the photo store two or three times with it.
everything is perfect but im worried about the sensor. how good or bad this is. also theres not much information about this cameras. Personally coming from FF gear smaller cropped sensors below m43...hmmm....me no likey.

I would like to get one, just as a snap camera, and almost dedicated to its wonderful black and white features. but the sensor somehow keeps me away from it.

Ive also been wondering on the film version of the camera the GR1/s/v. not the 21 cause im not going to pay $1.5k for it. But again, since im living in NZ film here its almost prohibiting expensive to develop, and some chinese corner labs, would do it for a reasonable price, but then, terrible results. So also wondering on home developing my film but again have to buy all the chemicals locally since no one can ship em overseas.

Do you guys know anything about the GRD V coming in the next year or so?. or should i just jump on the IV and never look back?. or maybe just forget about it?

suggestions, advice, tips, etc are moooooore than welcome guys!.

I love shots I see here from GRD I, II, III or IV. If gritty is OK with you, just buy one already. If you expect immaculate, super clean shots at higher ISOs, smaller sensor cameras are almost there....and the IV is close, but you have a good cam for IQ.....get a good compact and don't obsess about the IQ.....it's more than good enough. You can easily print an 8 x 10 or 11 x 14.

I think it really depends on what you want to do with it and what you expect of it. I have a GRD3 and I can and do use it for anything and everything. Its great for B&W, fabulous for landscapes, excellent for long exposure night shots. The GRDs are never going to be as "good" as a FF, and its never going to have the IQ of your MFTs, or my APS-C, but I tell you its one of the absolute best small sensor cameras out there. Seriously. With the IV you get image stabilisation and I think a better image processing engine, I wouldn't hesitate if I were you.

If you want to take a look at my crop of GRD3 shots, they can be found here. Theres a variety of different kinds of photograph there, it might help you to decide.

Apparently Ricoh have been releasing a new GRD every second year, so we should be due for the V in 2013. I think I may upgrade to that when it comes. Or not... I must admit I do like what I have. Flexible, easy to use and set up for shooting what you want, when you want. I love it. BEST system ever.

The grain is like film grain -- the way Ricoh processes in camera which makes this tiny camera a real gem. Sue is right though if you wait a little they might release a surprise in 2013 and if they do you'll have your choice of the IV likely discounted or the V. :)

but what if you wait for V to be released and then people start talking about the VI ? waiting for the next better camera is a recipe for frustration.
your pictures won;t be any better (or worse) for using (say) a GRDII , lets be honest, but you also have to want to pick up and use the camera you buy.
fwiw if someone were to say to me I had to get rid of all my cameras and replace them with a single (digital) one, i'd just pick the grdiv and start taking photos

ps there are plenty of film shooters in NZ and Oz who might be able to offer advice about either labs or obtaining chems locally - if not here, then also worth joining APUG (which actually is run by a Kiwi) to ask for advice ... but don't mention the word "digital" and be careful with how often you say "scan" :rolleyes:

It's a great little camera (I have the GRD3, which is nearly identical), but if you're used to larger (and newer) sensors, you may find the sensor quite limiting. I don't shoot with mine much anymore because I have an X10, OMD, and X-Pro and I can do anything with these cameras I can do with the GRD, but the reverse isn't true. I love the GRD line and if they update it with something like the new 1" sensor found in the RX100, I'll probably buy another. But the sensor in the current generation is somewhat limiting.

-Ray

but what if you wait for V to be released and then people start talking about the VI ? waiting for the next better camera is a recipe for frustration.

Paul is right.. However if you are on the fence about the sensor there are rumors that it "may" be upgraded in a V.. which could also be only rumors with no V ever being created since the Pentax/Ricoh merger. Get your hands on a IV in a store if you can and snap a few shots if they let you. Make sure you brought a memory card. Then you can take the card home and review the photos and if the camera makes you happy then purchase it. Trying/renting generally ends uncertainty and makes for a happy shopper and if you are happy you won't have your eyes on what is coming next which can be a endless game.

thank you guys for all your comments. i really appreciate it. Yes i love the gritty b/w looks of the camera. And yeah im only thinking of getting this camera as a street-daily snap camera and nothing else. no potraits, or landscapes or anything like that.

@Sue your images with the GRDIII are great. the type of images ive seen coming from this little beast.

@Paul you're right. cannot be waiting for the next big thing to come. I agree with you. And thanks for the tip about APUG i might take the dust of my Contax T2 if i find some analog fellas around NZ.

@Ray thats exactly what i thought. Im thinking is more like a "want" than a "need" stuff. i love the size, handling, and everything about the Ricoh's GRD series. but its sensor just pulls me back. I might jump on the 35mm version instead. or maybe just save that money.

I have shot with the GRD and now the GRD 3 for years.
ANY of the series offers that GRD "Look", and the superb user interface.
Worrying about havng the latest and greatest is excellent for the retailers, less so for your bank account.
As others have said, test it at the store, if you like it...SHOOT with it.
GRD3 - a set on Flickr
my GRD 3 set
Ricoh GRD - a set on Flickr
my GRD set

Back