Fuji To our friends and their families in the Philippines who have been hit by the typhoon

Dave, my thanks as well. In this world of nonstop news, it is way too easy for many of us to lose track of stories that are no longer "front page". Your photographs offer so much - the good, the heart breaking and the hopeful.

Dave, thanks for doing this! I had not seen your photos and report since it happened but I thank you for keeping us up-to-date.
Peter

_XDV6434_042014.jpg

_XDV6401_042014.jpg

Typhoon Yolanda Aftermath in Monochrome:
http://www.xdayv.com/typhoon-yolanda-aftermath-in-monochrome/

Dave, that first one is such a poignant image. I know you've done a B&W series recently because I got the alert from your blog. Please post a link and a few more photos and tell us how you feel things are going. "All the news that's fit to print" doesn't keep us up-to-date.

Dave, that first one is such a poignant image. I know you've done a B&W series recently because I got the alert from your blog. Please post a link and a few more photos and tell us how you feel things are going. "All the news that's fit to print" doesn't keep us up-to-date.

BB, thanks! I've been shooting lately with the DSLR again, left my RF and Micro 4/3s in Manila. I've been shooting the last few days here in Tacloban, especially at the heavily-hit areas, once I get to compile the photos, I'll post another update. Godspeed.

Dave, thank you for posting links to your website chronicling the Filipino people's spirit and resiliency. I know I'm not alone in keeping you and other Filipinos and residents of Tacloban and its surrounding areas in our thoughts right now as I know there is a huge storm - super typhoon Hagupit (Ruby) going on as I type. Please stay in touch Dave, keep taking your photographs but be careful.

Yes BB and there they were assuring us that typhoon season had passed. Your avatar is very appropriate for this part of the world at the moment. The good thing is that after the experience with Yolanda last year the authorities learned a lot of lessons and are mow putting them into effect. Hopefully that can minimise the impact, at least in terms of human life.

Yes BB and there they were assuring us that typhoon season had passed. Your avatar is very appropriate for this part of the world at the moment. The good thing is that after the experience with Yolanda last year the authorities learned a lot of lessons and are mow putting them into effect. Hopefully that can minimise the impact, at least in terms of human life.
olli, thank you so much for posting (and I just realized I never wrote back to you from October! Mea culpa!).

And Dave - again, thank you for your blog link.

Both of you please let us know how you, your friends, family and neighbors are doing.

From today's NY Times, in part:
Typhoon Hagupit was expected to make landfall around 11 p.m. Saturday on eastern Samar Island, then cut a path to the west. The storm had maximum sustained winds of 115 miles per hour near its center on Saturday morning, according to Philippine government forecasters, and it was expected to bring rain across a 350-mile-wide swath of the country.

The storm is weaker than Typhoon Haiyan, which left more than 7,300 people dead after it slammed into the Philippines in November 2013. But Hagupit still poses a significant threat. One major concern is that the typhoon is forecast to take up to three days to grind its way across the central Philippines, dumping heavy rains over a wide area...

Fishermen tried to secure a boat in the city of Legazpi before the arrival of a powerful storm that was expected to make landfall on Saturday.Philippines Braces for Arrival of Typhoon HagupitDEC. 5, 2014
“The big difference, if we’re a doing comparison between Haiyan and Hagupit, is the wind speeds are less, but it’s still extremely severe,” said Justin Morgan, Philippines country director for the aid group Oxfam. “It is also traveling at much slower pace than Typhoon Haiyan. That mean it will stay over locations for a longer period of time, bring more wind, more rain, more chances of flooding and landslides.”

Back