Fuji To those who own both X10 and X100. . .

If you HAD to get rid of one, which would it be? Why? The reason I ask is, both occupy slightly different niches. However, both of them seem to at least address part of the niche that the other occupies.

In late January/early February, due to a windfall, I should be able to buy one, but not both. And I'm trying to get a perspective on overall usability for a street, found image, type photographer. I don't shoot much in the way of action, but would likely use the camera to take photos of the grandchildren. I also like to shoot panorama landscapes occasionally. And both would likely find themselves tossed into the leather saddlebags of my motorcycle.

This isn't (at least totally) about Image quality, I assume the X100 is superior in that case. But I am looking for all sorts of 'unquantifiable' qualities/handicaps they offer.

My Olympus E30, and My elderly Canon G3 offer fully articulated viewscreens which I like to use on occasion. Has this lack been much of an issue for either? Can either stand up to the sort of vibration found on a Cruiser type motorcycle?

Interesting question, Glen. I'll be interested to read what others suggest. I don't own a motorcycle and though I've ridden on the back of one it's been many years. I'm sure that either camera would be fine in your saddle bags but I really don't know for sure. I have a deep seated affection for my X100. However, I am thinking that due to the versatility factor of the X10 that you might find it the better way to go due to its zoom lens. Additionally, people seem to feel that the auto focus is faster on the X10, as well. It does feel faster to me, though I haven't done anything remotely like "testing". The zoom will allow you options with your grandchildren and allow you to be less obtrusive, and other types of pictures that the X100 will not. The X100, however, does have fantastic IQ and is excellent in low light situations... I haven't used my X10 enough to say how it holds up in that regard, though I know other members here have....and I'm sure they'll way in as the day and evening across the globe wear on. I'll be reading along with you.(y)

Glen,

I have both, but I also have an EPL3 with a bunch of lenses, and I have a GRD3. And the context is pretty critical here.

Some people are looking for ONE camera. In which case, I'd go with the X10 because it's obviously more versatile than the X100. Some people are looking for a second camera, or third or fourth.

To me, the X100 serves a more specific purpose and its soooooo good at it and is such a nice change of pace in my bag, that I think it would be the last camera I'd sell. Because there are good options to replace any of the others - I don't think there are alternatives to replace what I love about the X100. If I sold the X10, I wouldn't be losing any function, just the handiness of a really nice little all-in-one camera that is quite good for a range of shooting. Great for travelling really light for a weekend trip somewhere, which we do from time to time. I had an LX5 and sold it because I wasn't using it enough. But missed it because there were certain occasions for which it was just really handy to have. The X10 was an LX5 replacement in a sense - I don't need it but I like it a lot. I took a bunch of cameras to New York City last month for a long weekend. I ended up using the X10 almost exclusively except for some night street shooting, where I had better options in both the X100 and EPL3 with the 12mm f2.0 lens. I'd have been fine with just the X10 for almost everything I shot on that trip. So I'm very happy to have it, but wouldn't miss it that much if I didn't. If I was a somewhat less picky and anal photographer, I could get by with this as my only camera quite easily. But I like gear almost as much as I love photography so I'd never just have a small sensor compact, even one as good as the X10.

The X100, on the other hand, does two things none of my other cameras can do, one objective, one subjective. Objectively, what I can do with that camera in very low light situations is just eons beyond anything else I've ever shot with (I'm not a DSLR guy). I did some shots (posted elsewhere here) at a local holiday parade in really low light the other evening that I simply couldn't have gotten close to with any of my other cameras. And subjectively, its just a unique and wonderful shooting experience. I don't generally prefer shooting with a viewfinder, but sometimes I love it. Its a change of pace, a reality check, a different way of seeing and shooting. And the OVF in the X100 is just a treat to use. And other things about the camera slow me down and change my approach to shooting. I wouldn't like it as an only camera - I'd be frustrated by its relatively slow response for some types of shooting. But having owned one for better than six months now, I'd never want to be without either this camera, or one very much like it. And then there's the image quality, which is also pretty astounding relative to anything else I own.

So, I can't answer your question because your needs and priorities are no doubt different. As is your existing camera setup. But maybe these thoughts and reactions to the two cameras will help you clarify your own thinking?

Good luck. You won't go wrong with either, but maybe you'll go "more right" with one over the other...

-Ray

I'll put my hand up here!

Being a motorcycle rider also and having had both cameras at the same time :) Bet you didn't think you would find someone who would fit the bill! hehehehe

i sold the X100, the X10 is much easier to use and I found once I got an E-P3 that the focussing on the X100 was really not that good.

So the little, well, sort of little X10 goes most places with me and the E-P3 is taken out on special occasions now.

I would say the X10 would be able to handle the environment that it will be bought for better than the X100 and just having the little zoom it does is also a bonus. Image Quality, like you said, isn't as good, but there are trade offs at both ends. its a much faster focussing camera too.

Well, I hope this helps from my point of view, take it how you will, just make sure you have a nice soft baggie to put it in before letting it travel in that saddlebag which ever one you buy! and safe riding :)

Another owner of the X10 and X100 (and still am). I don't have a motorcycle, but I do cycle on my road and mountain bikes! But alas, I don't carry any cameras with me while doing either.

The X10 is much more versatile thanks to zoom lens, as others have mentioned. And of course, the X100's image quality is far far superior. But, I found myself using the X10 in a recent vacation to Seattle/Vancouver much more than the X100. The X10 is operationally quicker than the X100 from menu settings all the way to auto focus speed. I have never used the X100 for sweep panorama photos (yet), but it was a breeze to use on the X10. The X10 also has face detection, something that the X100 does not have. It makes composing portraits much easier.

Given that you already have the E30, a point and shoot like the X10 seems to be a nice complimentary camera to have. White the X100's IQ is much much better, the X10 is VERY good for a point and shoot. It's definitely better than my Canon S90.

I haven't really missed having a swivel LCD on either the X100 or the X10. Would be nice to have one, but I rarely ever used it on the Pany GH2, Oly E620 and NEX3 I used to have. Keep in mind that the OVF on the X10 is nothing like the one on the X100. It's just something to use for framing if you can't see the LCD due to glare. And it's not 100% coverage (it's 85%, so the framing is likely to be off. It generally chops off a bigger part of the bottom of the photo when viewing through the OVF. So the missing 15% in coverage when viewing through the OVF is mostly on the bottom. Nevertheless, the OVF is bright and clear, and it's better than nothing. I've used it when shooting high speed stuff to track the subject given that there's no blackout.

Overall, I wish they could stick the X100 sensor inside the X10 and also put the X100 viewfinder on the X10. That would be a super duper camera! Maybe X300. Or the X400. Or X40.

I'll put my hand up here!

Being a motorcycle rider also and having had both cameras at the same time :) Bet you didn't think you would find someone who would fit the bill! hehehehe

i sold the X100, the X10 is much easier to use and I found once I got an E-P3 that the focussing on the X100 was really not that good.

So the little, well, sort of little X10 goes most places with me and the E-P3 is taken out on special occasions now.

I would say the X10 would be able to handle the environment that it will be bought for better than the X100 and just having the little zoom it does is also a bonus. Image Quality, like you said, isn't as good, but there are trade offs at both ends. its a much faster focussing camera too.

Well, I hope this helps from my point of view, take it how you will, just make sure you have a nice soft baggie to put it in before letting it travel in that saddlebag which ever one you buy! and safe riding :)

I've been a bit reluctant to put my E30 into the bags so far, but it's just too much 'stuff' to carry around anyway. But I suspect the X's would be perfect for an image centric rider.

The X10 is probably more versatile for most people, many find it hard to live with a single focal length camera like the X100. for me the more the merrier

I can only say that I have had my X100 for almost a week and to date it is proving itself to be a small, light, solid high performing camera that produces amazing image quality.

Back