Daily Challenge Today 1094

A shop window in the tiny mountain town of Sisters, Oregon.

F011C320-7784-47DD-A35B-28A3BED671C0.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fixed, sorry for the delay ...
What most people don't know: Elizabeth Cotten was blind and left-handed. When she got a guitar as a child she did not know that there are special guitars for left-handed people. So when she started playing this style that is known as finger-picking guitar (thumb playing the bass, index and middlefinger plus ringfinger playing the melody and harmony notes) she played the bass with her index and all the melody with her thumb. You can see this perfectly in this recording on youtube:

I loved this way of playing the guitar so much that I taught it myself during my student years. And as this was one of my favourite tunes of course I learned it, too using guitar manuals with notes and tabulatures showing you where and how to play. This is my version of it, together with my friend (who is on the left channel) recorded during a rehearsal:

Last edited:
What most people don't know: Elizabeth Cotten was blind and left-handed. When she got a guitar as a child she did not know that there are special guitars for left-handed people. So when she started playing this style that is known as finger-picking guitar (thumb playing the bass, index and middlefinger plus ringfinger playing the melody and harmony notes) she played the bass with her index and all the melody with her thumb. You can see this perfectly in this recording on youtube:

I loved this way of playing the guitar so much that I taught it myself during my student years. And as this was one of my favourite tunes of course I learned it, too using guitar manuals with notes and tabulatures showing you where and how to play. This is my version of it, together with my friend (who is on the left channel) recorded during a rehearsal:

Really interesting - enjoyed thanks.

Love this site for it's randomness and kindness ......

Your rendition sounds great, Walter! Did you mean to imply that you taught yourself how to play this left-handed using a righty guitar exactly as Cotten did? If so, that's a truly impressive feat, but either way the result speaks for itself.

It's one of my great regrets that I didn't pick up the guitar at an earlier age. I was in my mid thirties before I tried playing. In the decade or two since my skills haven't progressed much past strumming a few chords and playing some simple tunes. I've tried to teach myself fingerpicking a few times, but I've never had the focus to stick with it. While I'd like to blame that on missing the window of neuroplasticity, it's probably as much about an inability to concentrate and/or an unwillingness to devote the necessary time to practice.

- K

Your rendition sounds great, Walter! Did you mean to imply that you taught yourself how to play this left-handed using a righty guitar exactly as Cotten did? If so, that's a truly impressive feat, but either way the result speaks for itself.

It's one of my great regrets that I didn't pick up the guitar at an earlier age. I was in my mid thirties before I tried playing. In the decade or two since my skills haven't progressed much past strumming a few chords and playing some simple tunes. I've tried to teach myself fingerpicking a few times, but I've never had the focus to stick with it. While I'd like to blame that on missing the window of neuroplasticity, it's probably as much about an inability to concentrate and/or an unwillingness to devote the necessary time to practice.

- K
I'm right-handed and play the guitar in the normal way, Keith. I could never do it in the way Lizzy did it.

When I was sixteen I started strumming to pop songs, a friend had shown me a few chords. During my studies I listened to a record of a fellow student's where guitarists played Scott Joplin Rags on the guitar. This blew my mind. So I bought guitar manuals with record included and photos showing the left hand on the fret and slowly learned this finger-picking style. At that time I said to myself: my long term goal is to be fit when I play in a retiree band. So there I am now and not much dissatisfied.

This is the best ever version of Scott Joplin's 'The Entertainer' that you can find in the web:

Last edited:
Back