Daily Challenge Today 1557

Within two days, both computers had broken down. After changing the antivirus software from Kaspersky to Intego, the iMac got stuck after starting, then the screen went black. Nothing worked anymore. Two days later, the old Asus gamer laptop that I had taken over from my son died. No reaction whatsoever.

As I had wanted a laptop again for a while, I gave myself a belated birthday present: a Macbook Pro (2021) refurbished, in mint condition, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB RAM, M1 Pro 10 Apple Core, 16.2''. A Mercedes, or should I say a Porsche. After my mishap I decided this would be the right medicine.

Now I need some patience and equanimity to get everything installed again. I was careful enough to make a complete backup the day before I changed the antivirus-software. So it’s only a matter of time. So after this forced break I start posting again.

P6120742.1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Within two days, both computers had broken down. After changing the antivirus software from Kaspersky to Intego, the iMac got stuck after starting, then the screen went black. Nothing worked anymore. Two days later, the old Asus gamer laptop that I had taken over from my son died. No reaction whatsoever.

As I had wanted a laptop again for a while, I gave myself a belated birthday present: a Macbook Pro (2021) refurbished, in mint condition, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB RAM, M1 Pro 10 Apple Core, 16.2''. A Mercedes, or should I say a Porsche. After my mishap I decided this would be the right medicine.

Now I need some patience and equanimity to get everything installed again. I was careful enough to make a complete backup the day before I changed the antivirus-software. So it’s only a matter of time. So after this forced break I start posting again.
Glad you are back with us again Walter.

Patience friend, glad to have you back and I hope the MPB does you well!

Listening to vinyl this morning. On my old-school (perhaps 'ancient' would be a better adjective) DUAL turntable.

View attachment 480290
A good combination, Miguel. When we listened to some classical music from the record player (piano concert with Martha Argerich) my wife said the sound was 'warmer' than from CD. Well, she certainly is right as ton he records the frequency and dynamics was never limited. So you get more overtones. Even if you don't hear them any more (at my age) they make the 'feeling' of the instruments.

A good combination, Miguel. When we listened to some classical music from the record player (piano concert with Martha Argerich) my wife said the sound was 'warmer' than from CD. Well, she certainly is right as ton he records the frequency and dynamics was never limited. So you get more overtones. Even if you don't hear them any more (at my age) they make the 'feeling' of the instruments.

I think your wife is right, Walter.
It also helps if the music is played back over decent speakers. My old DUAL record player is hooked up to an old and large pair of floor-standing Klipsch 'Forte' speakers, from the mid-80's. They're not modern audiophile gear, but they have always seemed to have a special way of rendering the voices of indivudal instruments. I know in photography we often speak of how a particular lens 'renders' things; it's similar in the audio world, I know, and there is doubtless an entire universe of different 'rendering' possibilities. Including dynamics, overtones, and other things. Long story short... please compliment your wife both on her ways of listening... and of articulating what she's hearing.

I quite agree with you. Like lenses, speakers have their individual renderings. Klipsch are legends. I wanted relatively small speakers and decided on the B&W CDM 1 which I still love. They were the best ones at the time for voices, classical music and Jazz. For pop an additional subwoofer made them perfect.

Attachments

• B&W CDM 1.png
    B&W CDM 1.png
    184.8 KB · Views: 2
  • B&W CDM 1 .png
    B&W CDM 1 .png
    167 KB · Views: 2
I quite agree with you. Like lenses, speakers have their individual renderings. Klipsch are legends. I wanted relatively small speakers and decided on the B&W CDM 1 which I still love. They were the best ones at the time for voices, classical music and Jazz. For pop an additional subwoofer made them perfect.

Beautiful looking things those are. Absolutely gorgeous!

The Klipsch loudspeaker sound is hard to beat. A very crowd pleasing profile that's for sure! 🏆

My system for my music is lead by two KEF R900's. I love the sound they produce, it's very clinical. 😁

Back