Daily Challenge Today 370

As the fine print on some videos says, 'no animals were harmed in the making of this video'. Except if we change the word 'animals' to 'living beings', and change the phrase 'the making of this video' to 'the taking of this photograph', it would be spot on: this photo is of the fire on a 'burn pile' - a pile of gathered old sticks and cuttings and assorted flotsam and jetsam which accumulates on many rural properties over months and, in this case, over more than a year. When the burn pile is finally lit... it can generate some serious flames. Though you can't see it in the frame, there was someone with a hose on the periphery of the burning pile, watering the edges and adjacent area as a precaution to ensure the fire could not spread. And it didn't. But for some minutes, it was burning merrily, some might say ferociously. The focus in this particular photo is on the foreground, on the gathered sticks of the burn pile and the foreground flames; but there is a fascinating effect of heat distortion as waves of heat literally distort what a person - or a camera lens - can 'see' when looking into them; or, in this case, looking through them. On the other side of the burn pile, a safe distance away, the neighbor's young son was watching from behind his fence - but you can glimpse his out-of-focus face, through and behind the waves of heat distortion - creating an effect almost like that of a Francis Bacon painting.

RX10_Apr4_21_burn_pile_fire#2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It was Garry Winogrand who said, "I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed." That is certainly more than half the reason I took this photo - and to be honest, I had no idea what I would see.

As the fine print on some videos says, 'no animals were harmed in the making of this video'. Except if we change the word 'animals' to 'living beings', and change the phrase 'the making of this video' to 'the taking of this photograph', it would be spot on: this photo is of the fire on a 'burn pile' - a pile of gathered old sticks and cuttings and assorted flotsam and jetsam which accumulates on many rural properties over months and, in this case, over more than a year. When the burn pile is finally lit... it can generate some serious flames. Though you can't see it in the frame, there was someone with a hose on the periphery of the burning pile, watering the edges and adjacent area as a precaution to ensure the fire could not spread. And it didn't. But for some minutes, it was burning merrily, some might say ferociously. The focus in this particular photo is on the foreground, on the gathered sticks of the burn pile and the foreground flames; but there is a fascinating effect of heat distortion as waves of heat literally distort what a person - or a camera lens - can 'see' when looking into them; or, in this case, looking through them. On the other side of the burn pile, a safe distance away, the neighbor's young son was watching from behind his fence - but you can glimpse his out-of-focus face, through and behind the waves of heat distortion - creating an effect almost like that of a Francis Bacon painting.

View attachment 254242

It was Garry Winogrand who said, "I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed." That is certainly more than half the reason I took this photo - and to be honest, I had no idea what I would see.
That's a fantastic image, Miguel! Thanks for the description, too - it really moderated the heart-stopping effect the image had on me at first, coming out of your area ...

M.

Just saw this on the front page, great shot! I read the description to see that the person in the background was at a safe distance but, with them being blurred into the flames, it's an eye catching visual.

View attachment 254242

You guys have a lot more success with drying out your organic flotsam than we do over on the coast. There is much more smoke and many fewer visible flames over here.

What a subtly beautiful image, Karen.
And...I have to ask: is Bedlam a place name?
(I sometimes think of bedlam as a state of mind, not merely a state of being.)

This Bedlam is a battle field, the paint ball kind. We stumbled on it by accident while out walking. Thankfully there was no paint flying around today as we had to take a short cut through it to get on the path back home.

Hopefully this is acceptable per contest rules, but I had to go back to get an acceptable shot of the 5th's subject. So, while taken on the 6th, this is yesterday's concept slightly different in execution.

R0001742.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Town is full of these pinwheels for a nonprofit child abuse prevention drive. Given our strong coastal breezes, they are fighting a losing battle against the weather, while hopefully winning the war against child abuse!

View attachment 254242

Just superb, Miguel!

View attachment 254242

bbfire.jpg

View attachment 254242

You definitely "thought outside the box" on that image! (y)

Back