Daily Challenge Today 398

P5016615.3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In the neighboring city of Medford, Oregon, there is a large general purpose hardware store / work-clothing store / auto-parts store / you-name-it-odds-and-ends store. Its name, 'Black Bird', derives from the immense sculpture of a bird that sits in the parking lot in front of the store. I happened to be driving by, today...

RX10_May3_21_Black_Bird#2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I don't know how many times I've tried to take photographs of what I thought were truly interesting plants - or growing things - and then look at the pictures I took and sigh in frustration. It's hard to 'capture' plants in my experience. Which is why I find this seemingly simple photo of yours, Steve, so cool. I keep looking at it and thinking how great it is, for a number of reasons that I find hard to put into words. But it really stays with me, and makes me want to keep looking at it.
Bravo.

I have one or two ideas of what this image truly is or might be, Karen. My first thought was: you somehow captured a tiny globe-shaped-and-glowing alien visitor/invader who, upon reaching Earth, disguised themself as a common plant, before secretly sending out its glowing spores to both mesmerize and infect first the surrounding neighborhood, and then, eventually, the entire planet.

Or, conceivably, it might also be an abandoned golf ball that has been repurposed as orbital vehicle by a team of tiny-but-dedicated-and-brilliantly-nerdy insect physicists and engineers, and your photo has in fact captured it at the precise moment of its nocturnal take-off.

But, no matter what it is... it's such a cool image.

In the event neither of my hypotheses comes close - would you please reveal what it really is - and where or how you, and your photographer's eye, happened upon it?

I don't know how many times I've tried to take photographs of what I thought were truly interesting plants - or growing things - and then look at the pictures I took and sigh in frustration. It's hard to 'capture' plants in my experience. Which is why I find this seemingly simple photo of yours, Steve, so cool. I keep looking at it and thinking how great it is, for a number of reasons that I find hard to put into words. But it really stays with me, and makes me want to keep looking at it.
Bravo.
iPhone shot. I’m very pleased with the new camera.

I have one or two ideas of what this image truly is or might be, Karen. My first thought was: you somehow captured a tiny globe-shaped-and-glowing alien visitor/invader who, upon reaching Earth, disguised themself as a common plant, before secretly sending out its glowing spores to both mesmerize and infect first the surrounding neighborhood, and then, eventually, the entire planet.

Or, conceivably, it might also be an abandoned golf ball that has been repurposed as orbital vehicle by a team of tiny-but-dedicated-and-brilliantly-nerdy insect physicists and engineers, and your photo has in fact captured it at the precise moment of its nocturnal take-off.

But, no matter what it is... it's such a cool image.

In the event neither of my hypotheses comes close - would you please reveal what it really is - and where or how you, and your photographer's eye, happened upon it?

Now you mention it, there are a lot of them sprouting seeds on the Union Canal towpath. The invasion has started. The dandelions are coming ...

Back