Daily Challenge Today 428

P5317014.1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's a song by the band I should have posted another song by on day 420 ;)

No offense meant to anyone, obviously ...

M.

This is very cool, Matt. Thank you for posting it - and for continuing to expand some of my horizons. I'm guessing that you know the name of the group, when pronounced out loud in Spanish, is a clever word game or pun.

No, I frankly don't know that - my Spanish is pathetically limited ... I do see clues, but nothing springs to my mind.

M.

In spoken Spanish, often words which in English begin with an 's', will be pronounced with an additional 'ehh' sound just before the 's' - and sometimes rewritten accordingly. So the English word 'ski' will be pronounced 'ehh-ski' by a Spanish speaker - and, in fact, the Spanish version of the word is spelled with an 'e' in the beginning - so 'ski' becomes 'esquí'.

In the same way, 'Ska' is pronounced 'ehhhskah' - and the letter 'p' which follows it, is pronounced 'pehh' (a softer pronunciation than the American or English 'p' which sounds much more like 'peee'. The word game and pun part is what happens when a Spanish speaker pronounces Ska + P - it sounds like 'ehhskah-peh'---

And that is exactly how the word 'escape' is pronounced, too! In Spanish the verb for 'to escape' is escapar - but when you shout 'Escape' - it basically means telling someone to run for it - to escape - to get away!

Coming full circle, when a Spanish speaker hears Ska-P pronounced in Spanish, they might grin - because the band's name is close to making a getaway ;)

In spoken Spanish, often words which in English begin with an 's', will be pronounced with an additional 'ehh' sound just before the 's' - and sometimes rewritten accordingly. So the English word 'ski' will be pronounced 'ehh-ski' by a Spanish speaker - and, in fact, the Spanish version of the word is spelled with an 'e' in the beginning - so 'ski' becomes 'esquí'.

In the same way, 'Ska' is pronounced 'ehhhskah' - and the letter 'p' which follows it, is pronounced 'pehh' (a softer pronunciation than the American or English 'p' which sounds much more like 'peee'. The word game and pun part is what happens when a Spanish speaker pronounces Ska + P - it sounds like 'ehhskah-peh'---

And that is exactly how the word 'escape' is pronounced, too! In Spanish the verb for 'to escape' is escapar - but when you shout 'Escape' - it basically means telling someone to run for it - to escape - to get away!

Coming full circle, when a Spanish speaker hears Ska-P pronounced in Spanish, they might grin - because the band's name is close to making a getaway ;)
Fitting name, and gratifyingly close to my hunch ... Maybe polishing up my Spanish wouldn't be such a hopeless endeavour after all ...

I still have to be careful when I post links to their music - they're extremely leftist and, to put it mildly, don't have a friendly approach to all things U.S. ...

Thanks for filling me in!

M.

Back