Daily Challenge Today 431

IMG_2589.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

M.

A rat snake of some description? I tried to find out, but could only narrow it down to three probable possibilities.

For someone like me who has seen snakes only in controlled environments, this'd be quite a shock, though possibly unwarranted ...

M.
Yep. Completely harmless, although my wife thought otherwise the morning she found one coiled up on the end of our bed. I sort of got myself in trouble by laughing so hard. Here's some info: Black Ratsnake

Appalachia's most common snake making appearances to photographers in both Virginias yesterday.
We may not have much, but we have lots of rat snakes. About 15 years ago, a British chemist had a one-year visiting position in our department. He lived in a small university-owned house and was a bit bothered by Virginia’s more “robust” insect ecology, especially the crickets. He also mentioned that he had seen a mouse, but that didn’t bother him. My other colleague Lisa, who was a native to the area, rather casually replied he had better deal with the mice or the snakes would come in to eat them. I still laugh when I think of the look on his face.

Back