Daily Challenge Today 498

P8108233.1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's time to fill the NMR with liquid helium. I'm on a ladder inserting the transfer line into the Dewar containing the magnet while Phil was putting the other end of the line into the liquid helium tank. It struck me as a good time to take a shot. :rolleyes: This is the extreme wide angle lens on the iPhone 12, about 13 mme.
He2.jpg

Funny. I didn't notice those streaks as much on a small screen. They do seem a little like alien invasion! (y)
You know, it's as if we found out something here ... I think many of those infamous images were just that: reflections - maybe even internal ones (in a lens), flare and suchlike ... I never thought of it that way before. It happens quickly - I had it happen to me this morning, and I really didn't notice it until I saw the images (they're in the "Next Lens?" thread in the Leica section - and the reflections were useful, too).

M.

It's never too late to learn new words and expand one's vocabulary.

My new 'word of the day' is: glossophobia. The definition is: a marked and incessant fear of speaking in public. Occasionally (and ominously) sometimes called performance phobia or stage fright. You get afraid that having all those eyes fixed on you - public scrutiny - may either render you speechless, or prompt you to utter embarrassing or offensive words.

As far as phobias go, it's a cool one. It even gets a full double-page spread in my Illustrated Pop-up Book of Phobias. And on a slow day filled with words (which I am struggling to string together, and write) that page seemed to be a decent excuse for a photograph---

Xpro3_Aug11_21_Glossophobia.jpg

My new 'word of the day' is: glossophobia. The definition is: a marked and incessant fear of speaking in public. Occasionally (and ominously) sometimes called performance phobia or stage fright. You get afraid that having all those eyes fixed on you - public scrutiny - may either render you speechless, or prompt you to utter embarrassing or offensive words.

As far as phobias go, it's a cool one. It even gets a full double-page spread in my Illustrated Pop-up Book of Phobias. And on a slow day filled with words (which I am struggling to string together, and write) that page seemed to be a decent excuse for a photograph---

View attachment 267788
I unaware of that word until now. Thanks for sharing it and for the super cool way you express in this photo!

View attachment 267788
I've often encountered this phenomenon in life ... before speaking publicly, before playing a guitar concert, before getting an important writing started for publishing. Luckily this always was limited to a very decent bout of "stage fright" that immediately was gone once I was started in the process. Seems that we need this little strain on our nerves in order to be really good. It gets you centered, focussed.

Back