Daily Challenge Today 522

P1048689.1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Having run a Folk Club in our small town for 30 years Corona lockdown has been the toughest experience. Since March 2020 no live music. To make up for it we musicians meet now in a garden lot outside the neighbouring village having all got the second vaccination. No danger there. But no audience either to push us. You can see my two friends, one of them presenting his new Martin guitar, the other his new bagpipe, the fifth he bought. I'm still not sure if it's a musical instrument or a weapon.

View attachment 269483
Having run a Folk Club in our small town for 30 years Corona lockdown has been the toughest experience. Since March 2020 no live music. To make up for it we musicians meet now in a garden lot outside the neighbouring village having all got the second vaccination. No danger there. But no audience either to push us. You can see my two friends, one of them presenting his new Martin guitar, the other his new bagpipe, the fifth he bought. I'm still not sure if it's a musical instrument or a weapon.

Bagpipes are both a musical instrument....AND a weapon! ;)

Bagpipes are both a musical instrument....AND a weapon! ;)
So the English courts ruled once upon a time:

The Great Highland Piples are especially effective at close quarters; try sitting through a session when the piper and drummer are five metres (about fifteen feet) away. Six pipes can easily fill a stadium (I was there ...). That said, I find them very impressive instruments as well *when played well* - and I've witnessed all manners of performances, being a fan of celtic music (and sometimes its victim ... I remember that feller in the Cairngorms, my word, yes).

If you're in Europe and feel the need, the Festival Interceltique in Lorient is a good place to sate your thirst ...

M.

As with most musicians - bassists above all - there are numerous jokes about (bag)pipers. My two favourite ones:
How can you make two pipers play in unison? - Shoot one.
What are twenty pipers at the bottom of the North Sea? - A good start.
And you certainly know the one about the bassist who had bad timing: He threw himself behind a train.

Back