Daily Challenge Today 531

P9078593.1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In Germany, these dwarfs are considered the epitome of petty-mindedness by intellectuals. They are found mostly in the front gardens of the „common people". And not seldom they are the cause of years of neighbourly disputes. But there are also afficionados who collect them.

Years ago I was hiking on a secluded forest trail in a nearby park and came upon a small tree with a hollow in the bottom. Nestled in that hollow were a pair of "hillbilly" gnome statues. Someone's idea of a joke, and they were gone next time next time I passed that spot.

In Germany, these dwarfs are considered the epitome of petty-mindedness by intellectuals. They are found mostly in the front gardens of the „common people". And not seldom they are the cause of years of neighbourly disputes. But there are also afficionados who collect them.
Walter, I had not heard that before. Interesting how we can share some unknown cultural differences through our photos. I wonder how these little guys got that reputation in Germany? I like to think of Tolkien when I see them. My mother had a number of them in her flower beds.

Last edited:
That's a good idea, Don. I'll think of Tolkien from now on every time I see one of them (or hoards).
We should take this as a habit: replace bad thoughts with nice and positive ones.
Btw, it's nor the dwarfs who are responsible for their bad image, it's the kind of people who have them in their front gardens.

Plastic Pink Flamingos. There are no collectors, only offenders.

Back