Daily Challenge Today 551

P9278923.1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My colleague in chemistry does imaging of paintings, e.g., finding an under-painting. Here is his new “records well into the IR with a crazy signal to noise ratio at modest light levels” camera. The problem it solves is that intense IR light heats the painting which can cause damage. The sensor is based on quantum dot technology and can work at much safer levels. Despite it’s diminutive size, lack of ergonomics, and modest 2MP resolution, it cost a very respectable $35K.
3B2DC41A-C283-46BF-B129-187E4995D355.jpeg

Due doubtless to caffeine deprivation, I accidentally cross-posted my TODAY 551 entry in today's SiInO (Single-in-October) Challenge. But in the interests of reestablishing the order of things, here it is --- my SPAM can, on my old (vintage: late 1950's) gas stove.

EP5_Oct3_21_SPAM.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Confession: growing up, my father, a brainy engineering nerd, left most of the cooking to my mother, except on occasional weekends. Among his small handful of gastronomic specialties... was a plate of sautéed mushrooms + Spam. Though it's abhorred by gourmets, I've been fond of the stuff ever since.

Back