Daily Challenge Today 652

P1010935.1p.jpg

I'm surprised they still winter there after last winter. I'm also envious. I love shots like this and I can never manage to get one.
Grackles, wish they would go further south. They are attract to light and travel in hordes.
When I lived in Austin and attended the university they would come to the campus in the evening and stay late. Quite a mess actually. And in hordes they make a lot of noise ‘talking amongst themselves‘. Hard to get rid of them once they find a spot they like. The university tried firing blank cannon rounds, but it only work temporarily.
They liked our local grocery store so much that finally ended up cutting down out all the trees in the parking area.
They started showing up around here a few weeks ago, but only come once or twice a week.
Luckily it is rather dark back there at night so they stay for an hour or so and then move on.
Grackle hordes invade Austin grocery stores; why this species is more than meets the eye

Deja vu! I taught at UT Austin back in 1985-6. Some folks would actually have umbrellas to keep the grackle poop off. The sound of the birds could be amazing. I heard that canon off every day about 5. It was so weird to a good New England boy like me. I did love Austin, though.

Last edited:
Deja vu! I taught at UT Austin back in 1985-6. Some folks would actually have umbrellas to keep the grackle poop off. The sound of the birds could be amazing. I heard that canon off every day about 5. It was so weird to a good New England boy like me. I did love Austin, though.
Small world. I was at UT beginning in 1987! Still miss Austin.

Back