Daily Challenge Today 913

P9283005.3.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Since my day job is a writer, I have to put in the hours metaphorically putting words on paper. Though, these days, paper is a dinosaur, as everything gets typed into electronic documents on my Mac. But every once in awhile, it's nice to do things the old-fashioned way, and actually write down words with a writing implement. What were they called, anyway, those antique tools? Oh, yes, I remember now... the word is 'pen'.

EP5_Oct30_22_Tombow_pen.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And as most carpenters (or for that matter, musicians) will tell you, using good tools... seems to make the finished product better.

And my first one (in 1990) was a Powerbook 150 with - you won't believe it - 500 Mb HD and 4 Mb main memory. And with that and Pagemaker I made my Songbooks over 200 pages in size (text only and with guitar chords). It still works.

Attachments

• Powerbook_150.jpg
    Powerbook_150.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 17
Steve, a Mac SE was the first computer I bought. Along with a dot matrix printer. It required a lot of 3.5” disc swapping to load programs!
And it was the envy even of those with other early "cult" computers: I had an Atari 1040STE as my first own computer (I had started out on my family's Commodore VC20 - cassette loading; by that time, we had moved to a PC, though, but I styled myself as a musician in my late teens/early twenties), but nevertheless preferred the Mac SEs we were using at university - more elegant (simple, straightforward), more stable. However, Apple machines were so much more expensive that I moved to PCs myself when leaving home. Never happy, but I could afford them and learned how to use them in spite of all their shortcomings.

I also remember my first hard drive. 20MB! 12 kilos! Quite the achievement ... However, it ate one of my course papers two days before of the deadline. Talk about a blow ... Although, come to think of it ... This accident, for the first time, forced me to unpack my ability to produce *a lot* of text in a very short time if I have to. Not the worst of assets.

M.

P.S. Had this brewing since this morning - but other stuff got in the way.

Back