Daily Challenge Today 972

PB273923.1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

L2625420.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

:)

There's a somewhat sombre reason behind all those shots of today: I actually dropped my Voigtländer 35mm f/2 Ultron (it fell out of the bag when I took out the camera); it slammed onto the (carpeted) floor front first - luckily, the cap seems to have taken most of the force (it was really hard to get off), and thanks to the solid build, it seems to have survived, for the most part. That said, I'll have it checked one of these days ...

M.

View attachment 350067

There's a somewhat sombre reason behind all those shots of today: I actually dropped my Voigtländer 35mm f/2 Ultron (it fell out of the bag when I took out the camera); it slammed onto the (carpeted) floor front first - luckily, the cap seems to have taken most of the force (it was really hard to get off), and thanks to the solid build, it seems to have survived, for the most part. That said, I'll have it checked one of these days ...

M.
Matt, I had that happen with my then brand new FTs 50-200 MkI. Bag fell over on a seat at the Twelve Apostles at Port Campbell. The lens fell off the seat, then rolled across the bitumen walkway. Fortunately protected by its reversed lens hood and rear cap, so unscathed.

SWMBO's comment: "You need to buy a decent bag for all that expensive gear.". I did ...

I've now got at least two bags for every camera outfit! Bloody things are breeding while I'm not looking, I suspect.

Matt, I had that happen with my then brand new FTs 50-200 MkI. Bag fell over on a seat at the Twelve Apostles at Port Campbell. The lens fell off the seat, then rolled across the bitumen walkway. Fortunately protected by its reversed lens hood and rear cap, so unscathed.

SWMBO's comment: "You need to buy a decent bag for all that expensive gear.". I did ...

I've now got at least two bags for every camera outfit! Bloody things are breeding while I'm not looking, I suspect.
Only just grasped the core information in your story ... that almost hurt physically ...

The bag wasn't to blame in my case - just my own carelessness and a sufficient amount of clumsiness - I really *should* have felt the extra resistance on my hand when either the camera or my sleeve caught the string of the cloth bag the lens was in. It was a "high tumble", too, a full meter. I'm not entirely sure all of the glass survived completely intact and in place - so I'll have to send the lens in. The only "good" thing about this: I have plenty of 35mm options, so I'll find it easy enough to wait for its return.

M.

Interesting to see that in such a small group as we are in this daily challenge there are three of us who not only own but use this lightweight.
The 75-300mm was among the earliest of my my m43 lens purchases. The 14-42 kit lens came with my Pen E-PL5 in 2013 and I soon added the 40-150mm plastic-fantastic, the PL 20mm, the Samyang (Bower) 7.5 mm FE, and this.

This is still my long telephoto lens of choice when I travel light. My copy has a fall off in sharpness in the last little bit of range, but is excellent out to about 260mm.

I chose this lens yesterday because my last dance with our local deer was with my 300mm prime, and it was just too close. The 300 is much sharper and has much better stabilization, but the zoom allows more framing choices.

The 75-300mm was among the earliest of my my m43 lens purchases. The 14-42 kit lens came with my Pen E-PL5 in 2013 and I soon added the 40-150mm plastic-fantastic, the PL 20mm, the Samyang (Bower) 7.5 mm FE, and this.

This is still my long telephoto lens of choice when I travel light. My copy has a fall off in sharpness in the last little bit of range, but is excellent out to about 260mm.

I chose this lens yesterday because my last dance with our local deer was with my 300mm prime, and it was just too close. The 300 is much sharper and has much better stabilization, but the zoom allows more framing choices.
Lyle, you might find that it gets a lot sharper if you use the full electronic shutter. It's so light that it's very prone to shutter shock, specially in my hands!

Lyle, you might find that it gets a lot sharper if you use the full electronic shutter. It's so light that it's very prone to shutter shock, specially in my hands!
Thanks for your suggestion. I experimented with that on my E-M5ii , both handheld and tripod, with stationary targets, and saw no improvement compared to zero-delay anti-shock (electronic 1st curtain). I haven't repeated the test with my E-M5iii, but I have seen similar field results with all of my cameras, including my two Pens.

The softness I see at 300mm is just slightly uniformly unsharp. And at 260mm, it seems fine. It doesn't look like shutter shock, which usually has a direction or path to the blur . My E-P5 was a model famous for shutter shock (before the firmware update), so I've seen quite a bit of it. My 75-300 was a refurb at a discount price, so maybe there was a reason it was returned. In any case, I am not complaining, just stating what I have found. I still like and use the lens. Maybe I will try to pick up a different copy at some point.

Haha, Lyle. My E-PM2 is hopeless with longer lenses. No EFCS, no electronic shutter, IBIS that's worse than my E-1 (which doesn't even have IBIS!). With its excellent Sony 16 MPx sensor though, it has good colours and definition, IF I hold it well enough.

However, the problems have vastly improved since getting a VF-4 for it. At least there is now some semblance of a proper hold possible!

My copy of the 70-300 is as sharp as my FTs 50-200 MkI at 300mm (on my E-M1 MkII), so you are probably right about the copy variation.

I'm absolutely hopeless trying to hold it steady on the E-M1 MkII when using even EFCS, let alone the mechanical shutter. Its light weight is both a blessing and a curse.

Fortunately, when I pick up the E-PM2, the 70-300 is not exactly the first lens that springs to mind ...

View attachment 350067

M.
I now had time to assess the consequences and damage caused by this mishap; it seems the helicoid did suffer somewhat - using the focusing mechnism isn't as smooth and even as it was and should be. That said, the lens is so dense and compact that its ability to focus precisely doesn't seem to have taken a hit (pun intended).

So, it may be just as well that I won another (Type II) lens ... I have to hope that the newly acquired specimen arrives flawless; should be here next week.

Getting the stricken lens looked at will not be easy, though - I'll have to travel to Germany for that because there's basically noone in Switzerland who is handling Voigtländer service cases. That's a nuisance for sure (and something I didn't know before), but I'll make a short trip out of it soon (after Christmas). To make more out of it, I'll probably take a couple of lenses for a check and CLA in one go.

All things considered, it could be a lot worse, but it's still not something I want to go through again.

M.

Back