Today I got a....

Isoterica

Hall of Famer
Graflex Pacemaker Speed Graphic at the flea market. Seems really clean though vf needs a bit of cleaning. Rangefinder on right side is Kalart. Lens is a Optar 135mm 4.7. And I have the Instruction Manual that came with it though it doesn't say all that much.
The Graphic film pack adapter says 3 1/4 x 4 1/4.. so.. if anyone knows.. would that mean I could get the 120 roll film back for 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 ? Something on the order of this> (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Graflex-3-1...131003132420&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=251544345093&rt=nc) I'd rather not deal with sheet film.

The second vendor I saw told me it was a 4 x 5.. but like I said the film pack adapter says otherwise. I just want to make sure I fleabay the proper sized back. 4 x 5 wouldn't fight, am I right? I don't know a lot about this camera yet.

This is really all I found online so far, but still reading. Graflex Graphic Accessories and this Pacemaker versus Anniversary

"Cash it out?" Do you mean sell it?

Well that would be my gut reaction if I found out I couldn't readily get rolls of film for it. But I think you're more into funky cameras and funky film formats, so I won't project my tastes onto your new baby. It's a sweet-looking rig.....no doubt. And I'm sure the giant negatives will look equally sweet.

Uhm, well, I just got it today because I wanted it? There are 120mm film roll backs for it.. all you need to do is add the proper back and then you can use 120mm film. I have several rolls in the fridge that I use for my other cameras. I just need to know if I am on the right track as to the proper back.

From what you've told us, that would be the right back (and that other vendor is wrong about it being a 4 x 5 camera if it says 3 1/4 x 4 1/4.......they made them in a bunch of funky sizes). Before you buy the roll back, can you be sure that the camera works? Have you tried all the mechanical bits? And photos......we need to see that lovely beast.

The shutter works... not sure the speeds are on because i have no way to test but they seem to be. I've only had it home four a couple hours now. I will try to clean the dust off, clean the viewfinder because it has dust (lens is clean) and then I can photograph it.

Actually I would like to take photos of all my cameras for the site I'm making but I'm not good at the product photography thing. If anyone has suggestions or a link on how to do it properly. Otherwise they just look like snapshots of cameras with shadows etc..

mooching in! i got my 75/1.8 oly! KEH.com was at my local store, and then my store had the 75 price mismarked on their website, so i got it $200 off without camera body purchase! they were nice enuf to hold up to the price for me!

Sounds a nice find Kristen, hope you only paid pennies!

Www.graflex.org is the place to go for the definitive answers.

But from what I know, the speed graphic is a 5x4, and it sounds as if you might have an adaptor as well for 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 sheets (long obsolete size).

However there are lots of variations, and who knows you may have some special modded version. Probably best to get over to graflex.org and Large Format Photography Forum and post some pics of what you have and get advice.

if it has a standard "international back" then you can certainly get a rollfilm back for it - 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 & 6x12 are all available, and all will take 120 film. They are pretty common on eBay, though watch out for prices.

I have a 6x7 Horseman back for my 5x4 pinhole cam and it cost me roughly £20/$30 delivered, but I see the 6x9 and 6x12 backs go for hundreds of pounds/dollars.

Just a thought though, although I expect it's fun to use, it's not a compact thing to lump about with you. If you use a rollfilm back rather than 5x4 sheets, it's more convenient for developing and printing, but then you might as well use one of your other MF cameras.

EDIT: What I know turns out to be nothing as these cameras were made in 3x4 and 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 as well as 5x4, and probably all sorts of variations.

Hehe I just read your posts again properly and I see you said you got it 'cause you wanted it. Well, that's good enough reason to do whatever the hell you like with it in my book :D

i also see you're way ahead of me about graflex.org, backs and just about everything else too, so I really must stop responding to threads when I just woke up and am still lying on my side in the dark ...

enjoy it. it's a true American classic

Sounds a nice find Kristen, hope you only paid pennies!

Www.graflex.org is the place to go for the definitive answers.

But from what I know, the speed graphic is a 5x4, and it sounds as if you might have an adaptor as well for 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 sheets (long obsolete size).

However there are lots of variations, and who knows you may have some special modded version. Probably best to get over to graflex.org and Large Format Photography Forum and post some pics of what you have and get advice.

if it has a standard "international back" then you can certainly get a rollfilm back for it - 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 & 6x12 are all available, and all will take 120 film. They are pretty common on eBay, though watch out for prices.

I have a 6x7 Horseman back for my 5x4 pinhole cam and it cost me roughly £20/$30 delivered, but I see the 6x9 and 6x12 backs go for hundreds of pounds/dollars.

Just a thought though, although I expect it's fun to use, it's not a compact thing to lump about with you. If you use a rollfilm back rather than 5x4 sheets, it's more convenient for developing and printing, but then you might as well use one of your other MF cameras.

EDIT: What I know turns out to be nothing as these cameras were made in 3x4 and 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 as well as 5x4, and probably all sorts of variations.

Not pennies unfortunately as it is in such good condition but I could definitely make money on the thing if I put it up for sale. I buy at the very least knowing I can resell, but I generally don't buy TO sell or just because I can. And I know it kinda defeats the purpose by shooting mf with a lf camera.. but the backs can be changed out and once I understand more, and if I can get the film, I can shoot the way it was intended. And YES it is large for me. I can't really see much lugging of it at all. It was just in such nice condition I found it hard to pass up. So I'll try it, see if I like it.

Hehe I just read your posts again properly and I see you said you got it 'cause you wanted it. Well, that's good enough reason to do whatever the hell you like with it in my book :D

i also see you're way ahead of me about graflex.org, backs and just about everything else too, so I really must stop responding to threads when I just woke up and am still lying on my side in the dark ...

enjoy it. it's a true American classic

No worries... :) I do want to see as the back says "adapter", what the actual camera size is, just to make sure. That is not emblazoned across it. I'll shoot it with my cellphone, Maybe someone else can tell by looking at it.

i'd definitely put some pics on graflex.org and lff forums, you'll soon get the answers you need.

If it is 3 1/4 x 4 1/4, that size isn't made any more as a standard item, but you might find the odd box on eBay (40 or 50 years expired mind you).

However ... every year, Ilford make a special run of odd-sizes to special order, and that size will be available in the 2014 in FP4+ and HP5+ ... sheet film though is pricy at the best of times, and special run stuff will be more so. details here: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/201457131359681.pdf

OT, but I've developed this terrible habit of doing just that. I wake up, reach for my phone, and browse Tapatalk for an hour before I get up. It can't be good for me!

Graflex Pacemaker Speed Graphic at the flea market. Seems really clean though vf needs a bit of cleaning. Rangefinder on right side is Kalart. Lens is a Optar 135mm 4.7. And I have the Instruction Manual that came with it though it doesn't say all that much.

Holy crap that sounds awesome. Post some photos of this when you can! Mind if I ask how much? Just a ball park figure.

Back