today's book bargain ...

Lee Miller had a fascinating life ... several of them! She was a war photographer amongst other things, and "Lee Miller's War" is a well-known book of pj from WWII. She also had a long affair with Man Ray, and knew "everyone" in '30s Paris. I wouldn't characterise her life as tragic, but it's very clear she was a pretty tortured soul, and probably very difficult to be around. Anthony Penrose is actually her son, and I think he skates over some of her more difficult behaviour. Clinically, I'd guess at borderline personality disorder compounded by alcoholism in later life, but such a wonderfully gifted person.

It only arrived today, but I've wanted the Batchelor book for a couple of years, in fact I thought I'd posted that link or similar here before (but I can't find it now), and of course when you look at what he's done and what I try to do sometimes, you can see why I might like it so much!

and here's another bargain from a few weeks ago ... Garry Fabian Miller is a photographer who doesn't use a camera ... this is partly a catalogue of an exhibition of his work I saw a while back, so I was very pleased to trip over this for a stupidly small amount of money ...

Back