today's luddite problem

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
With each passing day, I am more and more out of touch with "technology".

I clicked on something on this forum while browsing using Firefox on a Windows computer and everything is displaying much larger than normal. I assumed it was a browser-related issue, but this magnifying glass phenomena is not carrying over to other web pages.

Even after I close the browser and re-open....cameraraderie is cartoonishly large.

What simple thing am i missing?

Most browsers have a "zoom" function. For example, in Chrome you can access it by hitting the 3-dot menu in the upper right or using the keyboard combination of "CTRL" & either the "+" key to zoom in our "-" key to zoom out.

In Firefox it's the same, you can either do CTRL & + or CTRL & - to zoom out or click on the 3-line menu in the upper right to check the zoom setting. If you're using the latest version of FF the zoom level should be displayed near the upper right.

Has anyone else here had the phenomenon of inadvertently invoking something on a modern digital camera and could not figure out how to make it go away? I have.

At least three times, I've had to hit "total global reset" to make a camera stop doing something I did not wittingly ask it to do in the first place.

I suppose I could have thrown it at those kids on the lawn . . .

Cheers, Jock

My neighbor did that to his Nikon D3200, somehow disabled Autofocus from working on all lenses.
I used my standard approach to computers of pointing and clicking at random until the computer does exactly what I want. Some obscure setting that was so badly translated into anything meaningful was the culprit.

I still use DOS professionally for embedded systems. A young engineer asked me how I get drivers for new hardware. Then he paused, looked at me, and said "you just write all of the drivers yourself." I answered, "it's just typing."

The Cat we had when first married knew how to sit in my lap, reach up, and hit Control-Alt-Delete. He also tried to drive the car, but could not reach the peddles.

Has anyone else here had the phenomenon of inadvertently invoking something on a modern digital camera and could not figure out how to make it go away? I have.

At least three times, I've had to hit "total global reset" to make a camera stop doing something I did not wittingly ask it to do in the first place.

Cheers, Jock
Let's just say I'm NOT going to put a number on how many times.

There's a thread over on mu-43 about the desire for a simplified m4/3 body and many over there just don't get it. They're all, "you don't have to use all the features" or "the basic controls are simple enough"........

:doh:

Cheers, Jock
I was sure I did that with my XH1 until I finally realized it was actually broken. One sign of complexity is when broken becomes a hard state to identify.

I have fairly advance cameras, and yet my phone is about 5 years old in tech. I'm actually amazed when my friends show me what their new phones can do. Though I still wouldn't replace my cameras for an expensive smartphone! 😁

My wife and daughter know how to send texts to my cellular telephony device.
Write the text on a piece of paper, open the phone, then flip it shut.

It's not that I don't understand technology...

US20030172336A1 - Self synchronous scrambler apparatus and method for use in dense wavelength division multiplexing - Google Patents

US7099579B2 - Bridge terminal output unit - Google Patents

I just do not like having to deal with Bloat-ware. Most software these days make use of devices overly complex. It's been made into a game.
Just implement the functions required to operate the device and leave it at that. KISS. Probably why I prefer the M9 and M Monochrom, have no plans to update them until they cannot be repaired anymore. Same with the Df- I read the manual the first weekend getting it, setup everything I needed, and use the control dials for everything but formatting the cards and setting the non-CPU lenses.

Last edited:
Back