Advice Wanted Tokina lens for Nikon

lucien

Legend
Hi, I'm looking for an ultra wide lens for my D7100, D7500. The lens that I have my eye on is the Tokina ATX-I, 11-20mm f2.8, I know it's cousin the 11-16mm is supposed to be stellar. Anyone have any input?

Again thanks,

I've not had the 11-20mm, but I did own the 11-16mm f/2.8 for a bit. I really liked it. Used it on my D500, primarily for an UWA for my trip to Yellowstone, but used it elsewhere for a bit...but sold it for lack of use.

Here are some samples on Flickr of what I took with it.

IQ wise it was great. It is a slower focuser, but generally not an issue with landscapes.

Andrew, thanks for responding. I didn't go to the photos yet but why did you part with the lens? Was it too wide for everyday use? Was it too wide for ? How was the bokeh, and IQ? How long did you have the lens and what did you replace it with

Andrew, thanks for responding. I didn't go to the photos yet but why did you part with the lens? Was it too wide for everyday use? Was it too wide for ? How was the bokeh, and IQ?

I don't use a lot of UWA in my normal shooting. I got is used from KEH for a decent price and so pulled the trigger on it for a specific reason. Was cheaper to buy it than to rent an UWA for the week I was there.
It was great for what it was, though. I had no issues with the IQ on it. I think that Tokina is a much underrated lens company. If they had something that I needed/wanted in another focal length, I would definitely look into getting another.

Since my Z6 has IBIS, I don't mind that Tokina doesn't have stabilized lenses. I'd be happy if they would make something that Nikon has not made in a while, an f/3.5 or f/4 135mm or 200mm prime lens in native Z mount.

Hi Tim, if you never use it Why did you purchase it? Or did it come as a package. What version do you have? There are 3 versions of that lens now. It should be fine on your D500 as Andrew stated above. Looking forward to more samples. I know it's a specialty lens and that's why I'm interested in it. Landscapes and such. And I would prefer the 11.-20mm just a few extra mm's.

I have the latest version and i did use it some until my Z50 died. I'ts a great lens it's just in focal length I don't use very much. I purchased it to fill out my kit. I haven't shot crop sensor in a long time.

to be fair it is a specialty lens. Why don't you get a Z6 then if you want to stay FF sensor? Is the D500 that much cheaper? Or are you getting it for sports and wildlife?

I have a Z6 and yes I have shot it in DX mode. I like FF better. If I get another D500 it won't be because it's cheaper. I 've had one and it is an excellent camera. It it way tougher than the Z50 but it is heavier and I was trying to lighten my kit. If I find another I'll just suffer. It's that good.

Last edited:
Back