Film Too long absence from film

Name
Ian
After over thirty years away from film I have returned to my Nikon F4 and loaded a roll of Fomapan. It felt so good tor return to get back to the old ways of film.
Bacon Butties and strong Italian coffee!
Fomapan 200
000024380020.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
IMG_1976.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Good morning Andrew, thank you for viewing and commenting my post. As it has been so many years since shooting film I was somewhat nervous to take it up again. I did send it to a lab for processing and scanning as I can’t support further expense in all the setup for film as I am a person of a certain age, as they say. But of course you don’t have the control if it’s sent to a lab.
Lighting was natural light in the kitchen and I did use vignetting to hide some of the unsightly background bits.
On the downside I am used to seeing more contrast in my b/w images using digital so cannot say I’m 100% happy with this first venture though it is in the experimental stage.

Thank you for looking and showing interest.
Regards Ben:)

The grain pattern is nice, though as you note the images are a little contrasty, especially for Fomapan 200. In my experience that film is versatile and sharp, though a bit grainy, but also not quite as contrasty naturally as what these images show. They look very similar to what Foma 100 looks like in terms of contrast, with grain that is more akin to Fomapan 400. Could be that the lab is applying corrections that they think are needed, but end up pushing the overall aesthetic in a particular direction. Still, they are nice shots.

Andrew thanks for your reply. I have copied to you what the lab suggests regarding its approach to processing and perhaps I will ask for no adjustments in future and make my own judgements from the results. As I am new to this type of processing I will welcome all criticisms from fellow posters in the hope that I will be able to settle on a consistent system With improved results.
Colour balance & image quality
It is rare for an image to be perfectly balanced for colour, contrast and density straight off the scanner (any scanner). We provide the customer with consistent colour, density and contrast from image to image and, regardless of the file size chosen, we apply the same level of professional hand balancing to the files.

The difference between Ag Photolab and many other labs is this balancing is done by a real person with the experience and natural skill required to accurately balance your images – and it takes a lot of experience to attain this consistency. Our key aim is to give an accurate colour rendition, contrast and density without masking what the photographer intended or did with the film. However, customers can opt for flat, low contrast scans or scans with no adjustments, when ordering.

Regards Ben

What I normally do with film scans in Lightroom amounts mainly to moving the black slider and the shadows. I actually think the scans as you received them look pretty good, but personally I'd take the black slider and drop it a little more, until the darkest shadow regions are actually black instead of the consistent dark gray that is where the lab left it. I'm not sure why they did that, because it doesn't look to me like a natural film result, but rather one where the gamma is a bit off. Then you could raise or lower the shadows a bit to taste, that has the effect of lightening the exposure without cranking up the highlights, which feel good where they are.

Of course, this is all up to personal taste! I'm just telling you how I'd go about it, but I'm one person and hardly an authority on B&W film scanning!

Back