Micro 4/3 Took the plunge Olympus OMD EM5

I tried using the software from olympus but it's extremely slow and I'm not familiar with it yet. Lightroom recognizes and transfers my RX100 jpegs why not the EM5 ?

Did you get Lightroom sorted out? It should be able to import any jpeg images. If you have an older version of Lightroom, it may not be able to work with the E-M5 raw files.

The RAW files are fine it's the jpegs that won't transfer or aren't being recognized for some reason. For most cases I don't care but the panorama and monotone are something that occasionally like to use and that can only be done in jpegs.

BTW I'm using Lightroom 4.4.

We have a guest staying with us right now who has this camera. I got to handle it last night. It was smaller than I pictured, and felt very well made. I guess I would get used to so many unmarked dials, but I instantly missed the fuji method of dedicated dials. The viewfinder was nice, focus was very quick even in a dim room, and I could imagine getting a lot of work done quickly with that camera once I figured it out.

He and I are on very, very different gear trajectories, though. He carries that OMD and some lenses in a large camera-specific backpack. And he eagerly awaits the day he can upgrade to a gigantic full frame DSLR. I showed him my little Domke, and repeated my self-imposed declaration that I don't ever want to carry around anything more than what will fit in that bag. I might OWN more than will fit, but for any given outting, I just want the little domke F-5 on me. I chalked it up mostly to me having a wife and kid and him being single. If I were alone everytime I went shooting, I can imagine talking myself into a backpack. At some later point I'd probably then rebel and try to simplify, but having a kid to chase around and a wife to keep up with has forced the discipline on me up-front.

The RAW files are fine it's the jpegs that won't transfer or aren't being recognized for some reason. For most cases I don't care but the panorama and monotone are something that occasionally like to use and that can only be done in jpegs.

BTW I'm using Lightroom 4.4.

One other thing you may want to check is whether Lightroom is stacking the raw and jpeg files in the library, so you only see the raw:

Raw+JPEG Continued: Managing Raw+JPEG Files in Lightroom

He carries that OMD and some lenses in a large camera-specific backpack.

I definitely don't see one of these in my future!

I did carry an OM-D with 75/1.8 and X100 in my Domke F5xb for a while. :)

Yeow...tell him to rent a FF DSLR and some high end fast zooms and primes for a weekend and then walk around with them for a weekend taking pictures. That should cure him.

Once I bought my E-M5, the 5DII simply hardly ever came out to play. It's nicer to handle for a short while, but tiring and annoying the longer the day (or trip) becomes....

As well as the size and weight difference of the individual components, the operation of a traditional DSLR is too restrictive for me to consider one as any kind of upgrade to something like an E- M5, but that is something that a person would need to discover for themselves and determine whether it is an issue or not.

Back