Took the X10 to London. B&W

Name
Andy
Took the little X10 to London at the weekend and was pretty impressed with it except for the 'orb' problem. Although it's not so bad as some i have seen it does seriously blow the highlights which has made some images unusable. Car headlights and traffic lights were especially bad. However the rest of the day was enjoyed so here are some of the results...

7036697605_2c6b5c6e3f_c.jpg

Battle of Britain Memorial, London by andywest1, on Flickr

View attachment 51732
x10 in London by andywest1, on Flickr

7039286815_42191f8fef_c.jpg

6893193204_01d324739f_c.jpg

Took the little X10 to London at the weekend and was pretty impressed with it except for the 'orb' problem. Although it's not so bad as some i have seen it does seriously blow the highlights which has made some images unusable. Car headlights and traffic lights were especially bad. However the rest of the day was enjoyed so here are some of the results...

7036697605_2c6b5c6e3f_c.jpg

Battle of Britain Memorial, London by andywest1, on Flickr

View attachment 51738

7039286815_42191f8fef_c.jpg

6893193204_01d324739f_c.jpg

Andy, in the high contrast shots use the Exposure Comp wheel and set to -.3 to -2/3 Exp. Comp, you will keep from blowing out the Highlights. This is just working with this particular camera, as each camera has its own character flaws.
When you recognize this with the X10 you can then just relax and work with it.
Dennis.

Andy, in the high contrast shots use the Exposure Comp wheel and set to -.3 to -2/3 Exp. Comp, you will keep from blowing out the Highlights. This is just working with this particular camera, as each camera has its own character flaws.
Dennis.

Ahh!! I'll have to try that, mind you I'm getting pretty lazy these days and don't want to fiddle much! I will try it this weekend though, Thanks.

Thank you, Dennis - for that tip - I agree that I often seem to compensate with a much more negative EV on my X10.
Dennis.

Andy - so what do you think? Is it a keeper for you? I hope so, because your pictures are looking very good!

Honestly, I have used it on program mode quite a bit lately when I have been in circumstances that require fast shooting and I'm really thinking I'm "not interested" in taking extra time - and guess what? The results I've gotten have been quite good.

Please keep us posted on your decision.

Very nice Andy. Other than the orbs, its a near perfect small camera. And the orbs only come on in certain conditions, so for a lot of people, it already is a near perfect small camera...

-Ray

Andy can you 'see' the orbs in camera play back, or are they only visible on the computer screen? btw the B&W pics are fantastic just had a look at your flickr set.

Thanks Penny.

The 'orbs' are not so clear on screen as it's so small. All it is is things like headlights and street lamps are brighter than they should be. I'm not going to let it bother me as it will be very very rare that i will take photo's in dim light.

Thank you, Dennis - for that tip - I agree that I often seem to compensate with a much more negative EV on my X10.

Andy - so what do you think? Is it a keeper for you? I hope so, because your pictures are looking very good!

Honestly, I have used it on program mode quite a bit lately when I have been in circumstances that require fast shooting and I'm really thinking I'm "not interested" in taking extra time - and guess what? The results I've gotten have been quite good.

Please keep us posted on your decision.
Hi BB

So far I'm liking the X10 a lot. The Jpgs are super and they come up well after some NIK Software wizadry!!! The Macro is not great but you can't have everything. I'm going to try the lower exposure compensation this weekend and see how i get on. Hopefully it will stop the blown light areas. It's a lovely camera to use and it looks awesome, it's just that I need to get the exposures right.

Back