Top Compact Vacation Camera 2012

A used M8 is coming closer to the $1500 range. No where near $3500 anymore. This one was under $2500 over 2.5 years ago.

And the 9cm F4 Elmar on it for this shot taken today on vacation- $100.

You can pick up a used Leica X1 somewhat cheaper if you really want the Leica look and with the images being somewhat sharper than on the new X2 ( same lens though )
I always take too many cameras but if I had to take just one it would be the new Canon G1X ( or maybe the Lumix G3 )
For a pocketable camera I'd go back to my old DLux4 with its fabulous lens.

Don't get an M8.2: they cost twice as much as an M8. Prices will come down on M8.2's dramatically when the M10 comes out. The M8 is approaching the $1500 mark, went through the $2500 mark over 2 years ago.

For an inexpensive Vacation camera that has already taken the depreciation hit:

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Micro 4/3 Digital Camera & 14-42mm Lens (Black/Black) - Factory Demo includes Full 1 Year Warranty

Hard to go wrong with an EPL1 with lens for under $200. Way better than my $1200 EP2 was just 2 years ago.

I'll stick with my M8 for Vacation.

I've just come back from my hols - took a Fuji X10 and a GXR with the 28-300 module. I also took my FM3a, Lens Module M, 28, 35, 50, 60mm lenses (Leica R converted to Nikon mount) ...oh, and a pinhole camera. The camera that saw most use (most photos taken) was the GXR, followed by the X10. I ran 3 rolls of film through the FM3a, and one through the pinhole. The one that was most flexible was the GXR, although I appreciated the X10 more for low light stuff. The pinhole was most fun to use :) I can't wait to get the results!

Don't get an M8.2: they cost twice as much as an M8. Prices will come down on M8.2's dramatically when the M10 comes out. The M8 is approaching the $1500 mark, went through the $2500 mark over 2 years ago.

For an inexpensive Vacation camera that has already taken the depreciation hit:

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Micro 4/3 Digital Camera & 14-42mm Lens (Black/Black) - Factory Demo includes Full 1 Year Warranty

Hard to go wrong with an EPL1 with lens for under $200. Way better than my $1200 EP2 was just 2 years ago.

I'll stick with my M8 for Vacation.

E-PL1 for that price is a steal. Excellent jpegs!

Back