Toronto UrbEx

Some nice shots, but that's not what "urbex" is all about. That's street photography.

But you're pointing out what I don't like about the term, lol. It doesn't adequately describe what it means and if you just hear "urban exploration" then certainly you might think your photos belong in that genre.

From Wikipedia:

"Urban exploration (often shortened as urbex or UE) is the exploration of man-made structures, usually abandoned ruins or not usually seen components of the man-made environment. Photography and historical interest/documentation are heavily featured in the hobby and, although it may sometimes involve trespass onto private property, this is not always the case and is of innocent intention. Urban exploration is also commonly referred to as infiltration, although some people consider infiltration to be more closely associated with the exploration of active or inhabited sites. It may also be referred to as draining (when exploring drains), urban spelunking, urban rock climbing, urban caving, or building hacking."

Some nice shots, but that's not what "urbex" is all about. That's street photography.

But you're pointing out what I don't like about the term, lol. It doesn't adequately describe what it means and if you just hear "urban exploration" then certainly you might think your photos belong in that genre.

From Wikipedia:

"Urban exploration (often shortened as urbex or UE) is the exploration of man-made structures, usually abandoned ruins or not usually seen components of the man-made environment. Photography and historical interest/documentation are heavily featured in the hobby and, although it may sometimes involve trespass onto private property, this is not always the case and is of innocent intention. Urban exploration is also commonly referred to as infiltration, although some people consider infiltration to be more closely associated with the exploration of active or inhabited sites. It may also be referred to as draining (when exploring drains), urban spelunking, urban rock climbing, urban caving, or building hacking."

Thanks for the tip and the definition.
However, to me personally this is more urban exploration than it is street photography.
In a world of labels and compartmentalizations, it seems this tag was wrongly defined.

I do agree 100% with you however :)

In the grand scheme of things, what type of photographs my shots above are doesn't weigh as much on my mind as the actual shots themselves :)
Semantics...

Thanks for the tip and the definition.
However, to me personally this is more urban exploration than it is street photography.
In a world of labels and compartmentalizations, it seems this tag was wrongly defined.

I do agree 100% with you however :)

In the grand scheme of things, what type of photographs my shots above are doesn't weigh as much on my mind as the actual shots themselves :)
Semantics...

Ha ha! You're right, but I figured I'd let you know in case you were unaware or something. You can call your work anything you want! But you can only call MY work "good", lol.

"Urban exploration" really is vague. I used to call my work "industrial archeaology" but the real industrial archaeologists wanted to sue... :rolleyes:

John, does walking into the dusty/messy/disheveled bedrooms/storage rooms in my house count as urbex? :)

Wow, that's kind of a borderline case. Might be. Definitely if someone ELSE walks in... particularly if they take pictures. I'll submit your case to the urbex committee but don't expect a quick answer as they are still trying to figure out my basement...

John, does walking into the dusty/messy/disheveled bedrooms/storage rooms in my house count as urbex? :)

Wow, that's kind of a borderline case. Might be. Definitely if someone ELSE walks in... particularly if they take pictures. I'll submit your case to the urbex committee but don't expect a quick answer as they are still trying to figure out my basement...

Any chance you can add mine to the list? I think we visit each other's basements then we definitely have a case! ;)

OT -> John's basement
John -> Muttley's basement
Muttley -> OT's basement

Aaaaaand break! :p

Mine is not even a basement!!

They are two bedrooms in the house that became storage rooms since I first moved in nine years ago. I live in a three bedroom townhouse. But I got hitched last year, and my wife is fussing about the two rooms!

Not urbex...

Not street...

I'd vote for urban, but whatever you want to call it, it's good! Although when you try to shoot square to something like the face of a building, you've gotta be dead square.

P.S. Urbex is the name of a real estate development company that is one of my main clients at work. I believe in their case it was an amalgam of "Urban Excellence". Always giggle a bit when I see the word used in a context relating to photography :)

oh, so you're the one that shot these - i noticed them on flickr, earlier, going through my groups. i was wondering where the downtown area was, so, i looked up the area code.

(Sent from my LG G2 via Tapatalk)

Not urbex...

Not street...

I'd vote for urban, but whatever you want to call it, it's good! Although when you try to shoot square to something like the face of a building, you've gotta be dead square.

P.S. Urbex is the name of a real estate development company that is one of my main clients at work. I believe in their case it was an amalgam of "Urban Excellence". Always giggle a bit when I see the word used in a context relating to photography :)

oh, so you're the one that shot these - i noticed them on flickr, earlier, going through my groups. i was wondering where the downtown area was, so, i looked up the area code.

(Sent from my LG G2 via Tapatalk)

@Nic - I agree with Urban! And thanks for the tip on the square thing - care to elaborate a bit?

@romi.gilles - Ill take that as a compliment! It is downtown Toronto, ON Canada

Would love to host anyone that passes by :) let me know if you're ever around!

@Nic - I agree with Urban! And thanks for the tip on the square thing - care to elaborate a bit?

Sure, it was in relation to doing shots like the one below where you attempting to get square to (perpendicular to) a flat plane like the side of a building. Brick buildings in particular are merciless because the slightest rotation or the slightest angle from the perpendicular is immediately obvious around the edges of the frame.

Some Urban Exploration in Downtown Toronto:
10280146343_088d1ea884_c.jpg

Urbex. by OT Kammah, on Flickr

Even this one here; you're so very, very close but the top row of bricks just doesn't quite line up with the edge of the frame.

Sure, it was in relation to doing shots like the one below where you attempting to get square to (perpendicular to) a flat plane like the side of a building. Brick buildings in particular are merciless because the slightest rotation or the slightest angle from the perpendicular is immediately obvious around the edges of the frame.

Even this one here; you're so very, very close but the top row of bricks just doesn't quite line up with the edge of the frame.

Ah! I see what you mean now. Very good tip!
Thanks for taking the time, greatly appreciated! :)

Back