Tough Call

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
Right now in the U.S. the Sony NEX6 with new, compact 16-50mm kit zoom is going for the list price of $998. I noticed tonight that Amazon.com itself is selling the Fuji X100 for $999. And B&H Photo is letting the Ricoh GXR with A16 24-85mm module go for $799. I probably can't swing any of these until Christmas. But it's fun to think about. Which would you pick given my kit below (and Pentax K-5). I would add that the X100 would probably be an addition to my kit. But if the Sony or Ricoh worked out they would probably replace my micro four-thirds gear.

It completely depends on what you shoot, rather than what the kit you have now is. NEX can't replace the lenses you have now, and neither can the GXR. The GXR, IMO, also looks like it could be on a dead-end. The Ricoh/Pentax merger has left it in doubt.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you use all those m43 lenses, you can't replace them with any of these options. If you are only using one or two lenses, and the rest get no use, then which are you using? That might drive the decision.

What I'm actually doing is pursuing my desire for a camera with a rangefinder form and built-in EVF. My GX1 and E-PM1 come close but the viewfinders must be carried separately and mounted atop the camera when needed. The NEX6 would solve that and even give me a bump in sensor size. Maybe not 100% essential but still useful. Ditto the X100 but it wouldn't require any additional lens purchases. The GXR still lacks a built-in EVF but if Ricoh ever brings out a K-mount module, I could use all of my DA Limited primes on it. For that matter, I could do that with the NEX6 now.

I'm very interested in the NEX6 and X-100/X-E1 for the same reasons, a digital RF.

I am however willing to wait and see what Panasonic will do with the GX2, as I'd rather not deal with yet another system.

Back