Film Transition from Digital to Film - Tips

The motto "Expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights" (sometimes "Expose for the shadows and let the highlights take care of themselves") has been the photographer's standby almost since the dawn of time :)

Ah yes, I've heard this lots of times before, but the 'develop for the highlights' wasn't clear to me. I just thought this was for people doing their own development! Shows how much I know about film photography ... :dash2:

In related news, I just bought new batteries for my Zeiss Ikon, Contax T3 and Fuji Natura Black. So excited! Might as well use the good old Pentax ME, too. A few years ago, I bought a SMC Pentax-M 28/2.8 in super condition, so if I'm on a film kick, that will be good to go, too.

I counted up my rolls of film last night, and was shocked to discover that I have:

Fuji Provia 400F - 13 rolls
Fuji Velvia 100F - 5 rolls
Fuji XTRA 800 - 6 rolls
Fuji XTRA 400 - 8 rolls
Fuji Pro400H - 2 rolls
Fuji Natura 1600 - 2 rolls
Kodak Portra 400 VC - 5 rolls
Ilford HP5+ - 3 rolls

And a few single rolls of Ektachrome, Agfa Ultracolor, Ilford Delta 100, Ilford Delta 3200, and more. It's mad. I had no idea I was sitting on that much film! This will last at least a couple of years if I only shoot two rolls a month.

Archiver said:
h yes, I've heard this lots of times before, but the 'develop for the highlights' wasn't clear to me. I just thought this was for people doing their own development! Shows how much I know about film photography

well of course you're right, it is aimed at the home developer because for decades and decades most developing was done at home; but "expose for the shadows" is nevertheless a broadly useful rule of thumb for negative film in the same way that "expose to the right" is a broadly useful rule of thumb for digital.

As colour negative film is developed using a completely standard process of chemicals, time, temperature and agitation, you don't have the option of modifying development in the same way as you would with black and white negative film, and so the issue of "developing for the highlights" doesn't apply

I tell you what though, with all that Provia 400F you have in the fridge, you might make some nice money selling it on eBay or whatnot - 400X was discontinued last year and the transparency zealots are baying at the moon. Plus it must be well out of date, which of course adds value :rolleyes:

Back