Compact Travel camera - LX5 or G1X or X10

LiLi - thanks for the feedback. :)

Ryan, the improvements are incremental. However I have heard it said the quality control on the lenses is much better. On mine the lens is quite good. As to use on full auto; EXR mode is actually very very good at figuring out which mode you need.
One could happily use it that way and have a very high percentage of 'keepers'.
I got mine of of nostalgia form my former F200 and F70EXR's (both given to friends).
I am pleasantly surprise by just how well it does.
6677759813_b063b893c5_b.jpg

this is straight out of camera save for a slight crop and a touch of sharpening.
Shot in P mode, M resolution, ISO Auto(1600), DR 400%.
1/60 sec, F4.8, ISO 125, 82mm-e

Armanius's - Thanks for the links. I do like the simplicity of the SX230 and not having to mess with the lens caps on the LX5. I will take a look at the reviews.

I actually looked at the Fuji F600EXR and it seem to have great capability, but not sure how well it works unless you mess with some of the settings. Recall reading somewhere that optimal IQ was obtained by reducing the MPs; not sure if that is a setting or what.

Here's the link to DPReview's comparison of travel zooms, including the SX230: 'Compact Travel Zoom' Camera Group Test (Q3 2011) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Here's a review from Cameralabs.com for the SX230. I like Gordon's website a lot, and he also talks about how the SX230 compares to its Sony, Panasonic and Nikon counterparts: Canon PowerShot SX230 HS review | Cameralabs

I've never used the SX230, but I'm pretty sure you will be able to print good 5x7" photos. As for 8x10", it might depend on the shooting conditions. If it's really dark, you may get a little bit of noise on prints of that size.

On the other hand, I don't do enough prints. So maybe someone with more print experience in the forum will chime in. Anybody?

Armanius's - Thanks for the links. I do like the simplicity of the SX230 and not having to mess with the lens caps on the LX5. I will take a look at the reviews.

I actually looked at the Fuji F600EXR and it seem to have great capability, but not sure how well it works unless you mess with some of the settings. Recall reading somewhere that optimal IQ was obtained by reducing the MPs; not sure if that is a setting or what.

I'll let Lili fill you in on the complexities of the operation of the F600.

But yes, the EXR mode splits the sensor into two halves, thereby reducing the MPs from 16 to 8. The result is sometimes better dynamic range (DR mode) or sometimes better noise control (NR mode). There's also a HR (high resolution) mode, but that's the same thing as not using EXR at all, and keeping full resolution). On the Fuji X10 (and I assume it's the same on the F600), you can set the camera to "normal" auto or EXR auto. On the X10, the camera does a pretty good job of figuring out for you which EXR mode to use and will even combine the EXR modes with the other modes that the camera may choose under the "normal" auto mode.

Here is the best primer on using EXR cameras, Ryan
Nothing Special: How to Shoot an EXR Camera -- Fuji X10, F70EXR, F80EXR, F200EXR, F300EXR, F550EXR, F505EXR, F500EXR, F600EXR, F605EXR, HS20, X-S1, S200EXR, Z700EXR, Z800EXR, Z900EXR – *updated 5 January 2012*
In brief using on Medium resolution allows you to get EXR DR benefits in PASM modes.
Were I to be swept away on a world tour with 5 minutes to pack, I would NOT feel under-equipped with the little Fuji

Interesting, but might be a little too involved for my taste at this point.

I'll let Lili fill you in on the complexities of the operation of the F600.

But yes, the EXR mode splits the sensor into two halves, thereby reducing the MPs from 16 to 8. The result is sometimes better dynamic range (DR mode) or sometimes better noise control (NR mode). There's also a HR (high resolution) mode, but that's the same thing as not using EXR at all, and keeping full resolution). On the Fuji X10 (and I assume it's the same on the F600), you can set the camera to "normal" auto or EXR auto. On the X10, the camera does a pretty good job of figuring out for you which EXR mode to use and will even combine the EXR modes with the other modes that the camera may choose under the "normal" auto mode.

Interesting, but might be a little too involved for my taste at this point.

I'm with you. What you may want to do is give one of these new cameras a go, and buy it from a place with good return policy. Using the Fuji cameras on the EXR auto is actually easier than it sounds from my description or the description on the link that Lili provided. As long as you don't care why or what the camera is doing, just set the camera on EXR auto, don't think about it, and shoot away! :) On the X10, you manually zoom the lens, and does involve a removable cap. But I would think it's fairly simple with the F600. In any event, something like the SX230 looks pretty good too, according to all the reviews.

Keep us updated as to what you get. And post photos too, so that we can share on your joys of a new camera!

Thanks Lili!

Right now I am leaning towards the LX or G1X if I want something a little more advanced, otherwise I am interested in hearing about the SX230 and ZS10 replacements.

Ryan if you just use it in EXR mode it will do you proud (as we say here in Texas).
It is really quite clever.

Back