Traveling in Texas

entropic remnants

Hall of Famer
Name
John Griggs
It's been awhile -- I've been extremely busy with the new job. Currently down in Texas commissioning new automation for a pumping station in the boonies of northern Texas. So: not much time for photography, just some grab shots here and there I did driving up from Houston last week, and one from the small town I'm staying in (about 5000 population).

Hope everyone is well. Ice and snow storm here today -- and to think I thought I was dodging all that being down south here. Who knew?

I have the X-E2 and X-M1 and my lenses with me, and these were all with the 23mm f/1.4, 12mm (Zeiss) f/2.8, or the 55-200mm f/3.5-4.8. Click through to flickr for EXIF data if you want details.

First up is some shots from Decatur, Texas. They still have the courthouse decorated from Christmas with big strings of red lights. In Decatur is a steak house called "Sweetie Pie's" which is an AWESOME place to get an amazing steak. Best one I've had in Texas so far and that's saying something. It's named (so I was told) after an ox the owner once had and the head of that ox is on the wall inside.

Now, most don't know this, but Texas has it's own style of Kung Fu and the highest attainment is the "Rhinestone Belt". This cutie of a hostess outside Sweetie Pie's will give you a time before you can be seated and don't argue. See the headband and the Rhinestone Belt? Don't mess...

12180827596_741a8895b5_b.jpg

Don't Mess: She has a "Rhinestone Belt" by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Here's the courthouse:

12180831776_83d5480de2_b.jpg

Decatur Courthouse by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

On the way up to Decatur during the day (6 hour trip) we stopped in a place called Waxahacie to check out the courthouse there. These small Texas towns generally have amazing courthouses in general (like the one in Decatur) but the one in Waxahacie is unique.

The story I was told is that a French architect was brought over to design and supervise construction. While here, he had an affair with a local woman that eventually went sour. The legend is that the faces carved in the stone on the building changed over the course of years of construction from fairy traditional and benign to angry and glaring and it's so. I took a bunch of shots, but sure enough there are beatific women's faces and important and serene males... then the woman stays serene but the male faces look desperate and finally the woman is snarling and the male faces are angry. There's a story in those faces for sure. Here's one of them from the middle ground before it get's grotesque, lol.

12180628914_9374f65f70_b.jpg

Waxahacie Courthouse by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

And here's some of the courthouse architecture in general.

12180630324_367a479044_b.jpg

Waxahacie Courthouse by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

12180831546_81c8a30fc8_b.jpg

Waxahacie Courthouse: Time Flies by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

And one more from Bowie, Texas, where I'm currently staying.

12245891645_03bb414e35_b.jpg

Bowie Mission by Night by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Lived in Texas several times, from a few months, to couple of years each, in several locations, including 11 months in Bowie. I consider Texas to be my third home after Alaska and KY. I love the stone architecture.

Thanks for the visit,

Bowie is a sharp little town;) I moved to small town Texas 30 years ago and stayed for several years.
I like what you're getting out of the 23mm. I'm putting it on my list.

Thanks all, been a little busy and not getting to the boards much... or at all, lol.

For those of you who didn't get the joke about Bowie, google "Jim Bowie" and it will all make sense...

Have a few more from around Ringgold, Texas and I'll post them later. But I regularly worked 12 to 16 hour days and some 18+ hour ones and I just didn't have time for photography -- how sad is that?

At the risk of unduly diverting anybody from all the gear talk (yawn) that has come to completely dominate this board (like every other camera board) I thought I'd post some more actual photos, lol...

I love the discussion "Are Fuji Lenses Overpriced?" -- If you think they are, they are. If you think they aren't, they aren't. There's no absolute value. What a question... sorry, I'm feeling a bit annoyed that this board too has degenerated into gear arguments rather than being about actual photography. If that was your thread I don't see the point in it, I really don't. End Troll Mode.

12687225103_c6c2fbf76d_b.jpg

Little House on the Prairie by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

12711871773_5e1d3f23a5_b.jpg

Drilling, Absolutely Drilling by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

12712151804_e9c2246510_b.jpg

The Quail Almost Escaped the Bobcat by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

12712151124_d489f6cb13_b.jpg

A Ghostly Organ Sounded from the Parlor... by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

12711866573_381efce742_b.jpg

The Wardens by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Ha ha! Thanks.

In an off the beat track place at the edge of the town where I'm staying (Bowie, Texas: pop. 5000-6000) I found an abandoned gas station. Prices indicated it might have had it's last days in the 1980's but it clearly predates that by a bit. Tanks have been removed, sign has toppled, and it's just falling apart bit by bit.

12732423874_bee2151d86_b.jpg

Trust Your Car to the Man Who Wears the Star by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

12732116233_a60cba9d11_b.jpg

The Bigger They Are, The Harder They Fall by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

In the next one, on the door, is a sign that says, "WARNING: This house protected by a 12 ga. shotgun 3 nights a week. You choose which."

12732419514_2af6b82986_b.jpg

Do You Feel Lucky, Punk? by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

12732111793_f96c34fbec_b.jpg

Bargain Days by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Back