Travelling light?

Well, you won't get any sympathy from me (I'm a Russian citizen) because British visa form is even more annoying. ;) British authorities also want us, poor Russians, to list all our trips in the past 10 years. And the more questions you answer, the worse it gets. For example, there is a question if you have any acquaintances currently living in Britain... And if you answer positively, you're required to list them and provide street address and phone number for every single one of them. I guess this is because they want to know where to search for me in case I decide to stay in Britain?

I know European and US citizens are finding Russian visa process annoying, but it's the same (or worse) for Russian citizens traveling to US and Europe.

As for the Russian visa form, there is a popular saying in Russia: "The severity of Russian laws is mitigated by the fact that it's not obligatory to abide by them". I guess the list should match the stamps in your passport, they're definitely not going to do any verification beyond that. Russian public servants are lazy. Trust me, I know :D

Ah, spousal over-ride is already in effect vis-a-vis my Minox... Can't think why... :D

here's a reason: Ukrainian Camera Collector Faces 7 Years in Jail for Owning Soviet Spy Cameras

on the other hand, I expect you can do pretty much what you like as a tourist until Sochi is finished.(Yes, I do realise that the Ukraine is not Russia :))

there is a popular saying in Russia: "The severity of Russian laws is mitigated by the fact that it's not obligatory to abide by them". I guess the list should match the stamps in your passport, they're definitely not going to do any verification beyond that. Russian public servants are lazy. Trust me, I know :D

ah! The world of Gogol still lives!

Sooo...

" it is only necessary to list as many countries as the section allows and only the countries that stamp your passport need to be included.

The dates can be estimated if not known."

:rolleyes:

I would at least hope that the money charged for a Russian Visa actually goes towards a legitimate check of your credentials, unlike that great rort; the reciprocity fee. This basically means, "Your country charges our citizens $XXX to apply for a full Visa. In return, we charge you the same $XXX to visit our country simply because your country charges our citizens $XXX to apply for a Visa. No, we don't want any of your credentials, that would mean that we actually have to do some work. We just want your credit card number."

I'm glad my company handles my passport issues. I can only imagine if I had to do that myself with all the places I go every other week! Trust me, if the paperwork is not correct you may be sleeping in the airport until the next flight back home leaves!

Back