Fuji Travelling lighter today, physically and mentally.

Nothing wrong with a collection of cameras on the shelf. it is as much a part of one's history as that photo framed on the wall.

The mistake with thinking that a minimum amount of photo gear clears the mind, is that it is not the amount it how you use it. Different cameras, different formats, different lenses do different things, the problem comes when one tries to do all at the same time. Just bring on each adventure what you know you will use and if next time has different needs bring the stuff that is best to capture those images. They are just tools sometimes you need a table saw, sometimes a jig saw and some times a chain saw.

Personally, (quite amateur snapper/borderline OCD issues) even two cameras now it seems..., is one too many. There's a relaxing "mental order", if you will, in having one tool to grow with. I occasionally surprise myself with some nice shots to boot. Especially now with the X-Pro 1, I think it's particularly the inherent limitations of working with one camera and one lens (ok, two) that presents this kind of personal opportunity and challenge. This of course is my story, and sold by weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may occur.

Nothing wrong with a collection of cameras on the shelf. it is as much a part of one's history as that photo framed on the wall.

As a 30-something Gen-Xer with a mortgage, a lack of shelf space, and a desire to do more travelling, reality unfortunately outweighs such thoughts. My concession to that is my battered but still perfectly usable Canon 350D. Other than that I've avoided getting too nostalgic about cameras. My original Canon 50D was sold in favour of one with 10,000 fewer clicks and that hadn't travelled through Borneo and the Middle East, and my old favourite E-P1 went to a new owner a few months ago. I'm even now considering selling the camera that replaced it (E-PL1) and enjoyed using just as much. Three cameras seems like a good number for me right now (E-M5, G1X, GH1).

More ... more .... more!!!! More is better!!! :D

:clapping:

All kidding aside, I'm about to head out to the Bay Area, and will carry only ONE camera with me -- the OMD. Thankfully, the lenses are all so small and light -- 14/2.5, 25/1.4 and 45/1.8. I have a 7-14 arriving tomorrow just in time for the trip, so the 7-14 will be the porker lens.

@ Armanius - I have even more cameras than I listed on the bed in the hotel! Lots more! Interestingly, most of my cameras are high end compacts, and while I ventured into DSLR territory for a few years, I've come back to cameras that give me the best performance in the smallest package. They also cost a lot less than the latest super DSLR!

Only a few years ago I went through a period of carrying 'only' two cameras - the GRD III and Sigma DP2. Each camera had its strengths and I had learned to match the camera to the situation. It's certainly freeing to know exactly which camera to reach for in any given situation, rather than a heavier camera with a bunch of lenses, or four compacts in a bag as I used to carry!

I am on the fence about getting a X-Pro 1. I've shot with one for about half an hour at my local dealer, so I have a reasonable sense of what it's like. It feels really good and the image quality is superb. But it's yet another camera, yet another lens system, and more money that I'd be better off saving. Maybe I'll just buy an older Elmar 90 for the M9 and be done with it.

The mistake with thinking that a minimum amount of photo gear clears the mind, is that it is not the amount it how you use it. Different cameras, different formats, different lenses do different things, the problem comes when one tries to do all at the same time. Just bring on each adventure what you know you will use and if next time has different needs bring the stuff that is best to capture those images. They are just tools sometimes you need a table saw, sometimes a jig saw and some times a chain saw.

Well said. While what I have collected doesn't amount to much financially speaking, each camera has an aura to it and a time and a place to use it. I would only consider parting with the ones that just don't do it for me [or do a proper job for what they are]. I don't have invested what others seem to in camera gear so it's not like I'd be winning the lotto selling any of it nor would I be able to trade up. A few I've kept a hoping my daughter takes interest while in college. She does go out shooting with me but with the Panny I got her in late December and she shys from film. I'd like her to at least try it before it's gone so that she can say she did.

@Archiver: Spend that money on a trip somewhere instead and use what cameras you have. The memories are in what you capture with the camera, not the gear itself. Even if it's not a big vacation, you can still do something nice for the price of another system.

@Armanius: Enjoy your trip and remember to share when you get back.

Thanks everyone! My fiance and I will be having tons of appointments with vendors for the destination wedding later down the year. So I'm just hoping that we'll get sometime to enjoy the city in between the many many appointments.

I totally agree that SF (and the Bay Area in general) is a lovely place, and I can't ever get enough of it. Too bad it costs so much to live there.

Here's a link to our last trip there two years ago. All the pics were with the M9. I think most of the photos have been at one point or another posted here at SC.com. Oh well, enjoy!! San Francisco 2010 - a set on Flickr

I have to say that I've done a similar thing in that I want to simplify my gear and actually focus on the taking photos, not obsessing over gear.
And its for that reason that I got rid of my m4/3 kit and picked up the X100. Its got everything I could want, amazing image quality, great build and handling and I don't know just a bit of magic about it also helps that I really like the 35mm equivalent focal length (always loved the 17mm and 20mm on m4/3)

Its great having the X100 though it goes everywhere with me in my bag and I'm looking forward to spending the rest of 2012 developing my shooting.... Thats not to say that I won't ever buy any more gear..... I do intend to add supplementary kit to my bag this year, some ND Grads and flash gear to play with but lens and body wise I will be sticking with the X100.

That said my usage of the X100 so far already has me considering the X Pro-1 as my Christmas present!!!!

In my opinion the best thing one can do in order to not being obsessed with gear is staying with the gear one already owns.
In my case, the best thing I thought I could do to keep from buying something, is to already own it. (and it seemed I was obsessed with almost anything of quality that's the latest and greatest)
I get your point Pictor, I will now stay with the one piece of gear I own, (ok I'll just buy one more lens and that'll be it) (ok, ok, two lenses and a grip) (wait a minute...)

I had too much stuff.

In my opinion the best thing one can do in order to not being obsessed with gear is staying with the gear one already owns.

I guess, I have not written enough. I am someone who is rather obsessed with gear, too, although I don't buy new gear as often as others like me do. But I guess, that's only because I have bought so many defective lenses and have become paranoid about getting defective lenses, if I buy some. Gear fascinates me. My obsession is completely absent, if I shoot with my camera and lenses I trust. My gear obsession gets weaker, if I shoot more, too, and it is completely absent, if I am doing something like a photographic project.

Therefore, I should have said, that one should stay with ones gear and start a project, if one wants to overcome gear obsession.

I've been wrestling with the idea of selling off all of my Pentax gear (K-5, K200D and 10 lenses) to focus on my micro four-thirds kit. So far, I can't do it, primarily for two reasons: 1) All of those lovely Pentax DA limited primes and 2) The comparatively limited ability of micro four-thirds (and all systems using contrast-detection autofocus) to shoot things like sports and birds in flight, etc.

Of course, that doesn't mean one can't shoot sports with micro four thirds, it's just not ideal. The new Oly E-M5 enjoys some major progress in image stabilization. I'll be eager to see what Panny's GH3 and G5 bring to the table in the area of tracking/predictive autofocus.

I must admit that Sony's SLT cameras fascinate me and I'm tempted to try out an A35 because it's not much larger than a GH2 and the body-only can be found for less than $500 these days. I'd probably be happy with only a 35mm prime on it. The A35 has the same sensor as the Pentax K-5 and Nikon D7000. I've thought about it a lot. But then I come to my senses and realize that I don't need to get into yet another system.

But I wouldn't mind a Fuji X10 with the revised sensor.

Good to see I'm not alone. I find myself enjoying photography more when I don't have to chose which camera to use. I'm more happy when it's either the DSLR or the compact. For me the problem lies with all the inbetween cameras. The mirrorless cameras...

First, I can't get rid of my DSLR. I still enjoy using it a lot. Then I want a P&S for when a bigger camera only gets in the way. So the inbetweeners are all the mirrorless and serious P&S. I have the Nikon J1 which I love, but prefer the X100 for it's IQ. Then I can't quite leave the m43 cameras as I appreciate the interchangeable lens system. Oh, and I want the X-Pro1 but are not convinced I will be completely satisfied with it and I know I will feel the need to sell off one of the others if I buy it...

Often the new gear satisfaction vanishes the second time I pick the new gear up and realise I should leave home without my trusty xxxxx to try out the new gear. Have sold off a lot of cameras as I buy new ones, but a few I have bought for a second time later.

You guys are killin' me. I'm getting the X100 bug - bad, but have several things to sell first (m4/3, LX3, old Nikon gear), but I won't sell my D700! I am mainly looking for a capable, but much lighter and more convenient, travel kit. I've even considered a Nikon D3200 to lighten the load. Too much good stuff on the market these days.

Rich

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Since starting this thread, I've now not only added a Nikon V-1/FT-1/Voigtlander 40mm, Nikkor 70-300 but also a Sony RX100. So much for that one system business! I've discovered however that each one has their specific purpose for me and I don't have much mental crossover between them. The XP1 is my main rig for events and people (with the crop factor I don't need a zoom) the V1 with the Voigtlander is my street shooting rig (B/W) and my moon and birding rig with the 70-300. The RX 100 is turning out to be quite a revelation, my grab and go utility cam, just a rig to have on me the rest of the time. I imagine it's like having a really good director of cinematography if I was a director, you just point it at and scene and it produces EXACTLY what I see in a flash without a second thought. Rich is right, there is too much good stuff on the market these days!

Rich is right, there is too much good stuff on the market these days!
No kidding. I have an OMD with a bunch of lenses as my primary system - there's nothing I can't do reasonably well with that gear. I have an X-Pro with a couple of lenses (may eventually have a total of three or four, based on the roadmap) as a pure luxury and a singular shooting experience. I don't "need" it but I love having it and shooting with it and it balances out the sheer competence of the OMD with a bit of personality. And now I have an RX100 to fill the small compact slot. And EVERY one of these cameras far exceeds what I thought was possible when I started back into photography in 2010. The RX100 exceeds what I thought was possible in ANY camera/system that was small enough that I'd want to own/carry it. And the OMD is a step of amazing beyond that and the X-Pro is a step of amazing beyond that. I can't see any way I'd want the OMD improved beyond what it already does. I can't see anything more I'd want from the X-Pro for the role it plays in my shooting. And the RX100 is a total game changer for a small camera, but I CAN see buying a different small camera once some of the other makers adopt this level of sensor and start combining it with controls, size, and interface more to my liking. But I know that's possible now and very likely to happen within a year or so. And, honestly if an LX8 or X20 or whatever can combine that level of sensor performance with a little bigger body (LX7 or X10 size, maybe even slightly bigger), a wider and faster lens (through the range), and controls that feel right to me, I swear that could cover 80-90% of my shooting. Which might force me to reconsider what I'm doing with some of the other stuff. When compacts are THAT good, you're really looking at the bigger cameras just to fill niches and very specific needs (ultra wide, ultra long, ultra shallow DOF, etc). Even in low light the RX100 is good enough for most of what I ever want to do and until April, the X100 was the only camera I had that did. Now they ALL do, which is just crazy, but crazy GOOD...

-Ray

Back