Nature Trees

Agreed, beautifully seen and post processed Ian. Love the tones and feeling of depth. I feel as though I might be entering into one of Maurice Sendak's forests.

A slightly different take on trees - with the X10.

6785132847_7d79f703a1_b.jpg

I use Silver Efex pro2 for all my B&W conversion as for my personal style, there is no other B&W conversion method/package I am happy with

Thanks. I have Silver Efex Pro 2 (with Lightroom) and I am just beginning to get comfortable in the somewhat different workflow. LR4 feels normal to me but SEPro2 is still unfamiliar. I know I need to spend more time with it to get the results I know it's capable of (like your terrific shot, Ian)

Very near, Barrie. I loved that Gordon Lightfoot song as a kid.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is Lake Michigan. The lake that the Chippewa Indians call kitchi-gummi is Lake Superior which is north of Lake Michigan. As cold as Michigan gets, Superior is brutal. I tried swimmming in Superior once in late August after a long hot summer and it still felt like an ice cube. The benefits of that are nice cool breezes off the lake in summer. But that body of water is so big, it just never gets too warm.

Oh great. Now it's stuck in my head, and I'll probably end up listening to "Gord's Gold" next :)

"Michigan steams like a young man's dreams"

We still don't have leaves on our trees up here, but a sunny late afternoon and a polarizer can make for some neat contrasts:

8480096699_049e9aae2e_c.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The sharp moon is what I needed, but I wish I could have had the branches sharper. Perhaps I should have pushed farther than f16, but I didn't want to risk losing sharpness to diffraction.

I don't think there was much I could have done to get both the branches and moon sharp, but if I'm wrong please let me know.

Back