Nature Trees

Ladybower Dam area February 2019. The Sun broke through and illuminated the two small trees.

P1100302acr-web.jpg

freeze hard.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

freeze.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

last night we had a hard freeze. The temperature dropped to around 24 for the second night in a row. This area is famous for it's cherry trees, but also apples, peaches and grape crops. I'm not a plant guy but I'd go out on the proverbial limb to say this kind of stuff probably isn't good for any of those.

They probably nebulized water to protect the flower buds. It keeps the buds on zero degrees Celcius, preventing the buds to freeze.
This practice is used here as well.
I'm familiar with that practice and there may be some (very few) farms or vineyards that do that here. These images were taken along the side of the road and not part of any farm. Interestingly, it seemed the ice was only on the bottom half of the branches in this area. I'd have to guess that overnight a low fog formed and froze and that the extent and severity probably varied with the terrain across the northern counties here. Hopefully they will have the details on the local news programs at 6 and the impact will be minor...hopefully.

Back