Nature Trees

Actually c = 299,792 km/s, not 297k Kms/s, as I mistakenly quoted from memory upthread.

Basically, pretty quick.
Unless you want to go anywhere that's outside our Solar System ...
Even within the Solar System it matters because if you want effective interplanetary communication system you either have to use light or quantum entanglement to get the most speed for information exchange. (Radio wave signal between Earth and Mars is 5-20 minutes compared 3 minutes for light to travel, 48 minutes between Earth and Jupiter compared to 33 minutes for light, 88 minutes between Earth and Saturn compare to 63 minutes for light)

Even within the Solar System it matters because if you want effective interplanetary communication system you either have to use light or quantum entanglement to get the most speed for information exchange. (Radio wave signal between Earth and Mars is 5-20 minutes compared 3 minutes for light to travel, 48 minutes between Earth and Jupiter compared to 33 minutes for light, 88 minutes between Earth and Saturn compare to 63 minutes for light)
"Radio waves" travel at the speed of light, Ovi.
In fact, they are "light", i.e. part of the electromagnetic spectrum, all of which travels at the same speed in a vacuum, c .

Sorry, my mistake. In a vacuum, they travel at the speed of light but on Earth, through air and water mediums they are slower.
Yeah, my friend. Specially when a photon is travelling within the Sun.

It takes something like 500,000 to 1,000,000 years to travel just ~500,000 miles from the centre to the surface. Then ~8 minutes to travel the 92,000,000 miles to the Earth! Still within a time/space distortion, so doesn't quite hit top speed until it leaves the Solar System.

52921024864_bdb03f8623_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mother nature only knows how long these have been growing! ...Duh I guess so do the guys who planted them at the pillars..but they really stretch out.
P5242308-01.jpeg
P5242313-01.jpeg
P5242310-01.jpeg
P5242310-02.jpeg
P5242312-01.jpeg

Last winter, this tree catched my attention.

52742160332_85cfe7d144_o.jpg
Lonely tree in winter. by arturofajardo, on Flickr

Now that we are in spring, I had the fortune to be able to return to take its picture again.

52898278738_ee10dc5a03_o.jpg
Lonely tree in spring. by arturofajardo, on Flickr

I really want to be able to return during summer and autumn (my favorite) and shot the pictures again!

Back