Trip down Lea River Tasmania - Eons ago

Avondale87

Veteran
Name
Richard
These are scans of slides of a memorable trip with my brother walking the length of the Lea River in Northwest Tasmania many years ago.
The Lea River starts and ends in our highlands.

Lake Lea drains northwards from the northern end of the Vale of Belvoir (at Middlesex on way to Cradle Mt), ending 16.3 kms downstream at what was the confluence with the Iris River at Moina. (now flooded under Lake Gairdner)
It joins the Iris River to form the Wilmot River

It would rank amongst the most scenic walks I've experienced. Truly a rewarding walk that requires much effort at times.
There are old mines along the way, beautiful forest and at that time a lovely old hut still well preserved.
The vegetation varies from open button grass plains to thick rainforest

Simply put it was wild and beautiful. The slides don't do it full justice.

Lea_River.000.jpg
Lake Lea

Lea_River.003.jpg
upper reaches just below the lake

Lea_River.004.jpg
upper reaches

Lea_River.006.jpg
Lea_River.007_cr.jpg

Lea_River.008.jpg
Cliffs along the way

Lea_River.011.jpg
Below confluence with Falls River
There are a few waterfalls on the Lea River Lea downstream form here

Lea_River.012.jpg
Lea_River.013.jpg
Lea_River.014.jpg

Lea_River.015.jpgstart of challenging section
Lea_River.016.jpg
Lea_River.018.jpg
The main falls. There are other cascades
Lea_River.019.jpg

I imagine there are fish in the river. We tried but failed to make a catch.

For others to follow and enjoy the tranquility
Richard

Taken on a Zeiss Contaflex using Ektachrome slides

I really want to visit Tasmania someday. Very cool shots!
Thanks. Tasmania has much to offer packed into a small island.
Scenic beaches to stunning mountains and rivers.
Not to mention the weather! There's nothing between us and the Antarctic! And the prevailing winds come from that direction :D

For those who want to see a bit more of Tasmania see the "Similar threads" below.
Nickthetasmaniac has some good posts, amongst others

Rose this is a tough walk. There's no tracks and could possibly be made easier by dragging a canoe or something floatable.
It's not a river you'd chose to wade, just too rough.
The bush in parts is easy walking, other just thick scrub that just has to be "bulldozed through".
When we hit the deep water parts or cliffs we had to climb up and go round.
It certainly requires a decent level of fitness. I was only a young bloke then and bush walking in our true wilderness areas was in my blood :)
We walked about 16 to 17km as we started on opposite side of the lake.

Rose this is a tough walk. There's no tracks and could possibly be made easier by dragging a canoe or something floatable.
It's not a river you'd chose to wade, just too rough.
The bush in parts is easy walking, other just thick scrub that just has to be "bulldozed through".
When we hit the deep water parts or cliffs we had to climb up and go round.
It certainly requires a decent level of fitness. I was only a young bloke then and bush walking in our true wilderness areas was in my blood :)
We walked about 16 to 17km as we started on opposite side of the lake.

Oh, definitely beyond my level of fitness and agility now then! Dreams are free :)

When I looked at a trip to Tasmania a while ago it seemed very expensive because of connecting flights from here to main airport, and same at the Oz end. I'll just admire your photos instead :)

Oh, definitely beyond my level of fitness and agility now then! Dreams are free :)

When I looked at a trip to Tasmania a while ago it seemed very expensive because of connecting flights from here to main airport, and same at the Oz end. I'll just admire your photos instead :)
Rose I'm forever ticked off by the cost of touring in Tasmania.
Tourist operators see tourists as ripe for the picking IMO. Accommodation charges are exorbitant and anything with a view is extra.
Cafes are similar but so varied in charges for similar fare.

I'm a great promoter aren't I 😄

I know when we had our three long holidays on the mainland the difference in costs was very marked. About 20-30% more here!

Nice set, and good terrain. Love that kind of stuff
i used to do some walking in Tassie when i was young and fit enough. Wish i still was, have fond memories of Federation Peak and other places. Never did any river walks tbough. Mainly did walking between caving trips.
Thanks
Federation Peak! That's serious walking and climbing. Supposedly the hardest climb in Australia. And too many deaths from falling!

Thanks
Federation Peak! That's serious walking and climbing. Supposedly the hardest climb in Australia. And too many deaths from falling!
Not really a hard climb, more a hard scramble with really only one exposed move on a sort of a corner near the top. One slip there and all the way to the lake below.
One would need experience though to climb it. Have to admit it that corner move had me on edge.

Back