Travel Trip to Japan

Last year I travelled to Japan for the first time, it was my first big trip overseas as an adult. I spent a month there and had an amazing time. I haven't really shown my photos anywhere so I figured I'll start a thread here where I can post, over a period of time, various shots from my trip.

If anyone wants to post their own photos of Japan, go right ahead.

The first three photos I want to post were taken in the car as we were driving through Tokyo after leaving Narita Airport. There's a tour group catered mostly for foreign tourists where they dress up as their favourite Nintendo Mario Bros gaming character and drive through Tokyo in racing karts just like in the Mario Kart game.

25264499177_53671e6205_h.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

40136473701_b7ce335635_h.jpg

40136471051_56d5548525_h.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread. I look forward to seeing more pictures from your trip.

I’m in Japan just now. Here are some pictures of Mount Fuji, the first 2 from yesterday and the 3rd one from this morning. Sorry just iPhone pictures unedited.

6D30AC9B-BBE6-4E7C-B022-ED757F39C227.jpeg
6BA08606-1199-45DA-B092-E5435BAF51E6.jpeg
336CD88A-06C2-4B8C-8C2E-F95516BBA2A7.jpeg

This is my second trip here. I visited last year too. I only got a glimpse of Mount Fuji last year as she was hiding under a cloud.

Thanks for starting this thread. I look forward to seeing more pictures from your trip.

I’m in Japan just now. Here are some pictures of Mount Fuji, the first 2 from yesterday and the 3rd one from this morning. Sorry just iPhone pictures unedited.

This is my second trip here. I visited last year too. I only got a glimpse of Mount Fuji last year as she was hiding under a cloud.

You're in Japan? For how long? I will be going again end of December, it's still 6 weeks away but it would be good to meet up if you're still there.

Those are some great shots of Fuji-san. The closest I got to Mt Fuji was when I went para-sailing not far from the base of the mountain:

The view between my legs of the take-off point:

40164413061_29e5b552f4_h.jpg

These are my shots of Mt Fuji while I was up in the air:

40164414861_db718afd5e_h.jpg

Actually the previous shot was when we were in the little train on the way up to the take off point. The following shot is the one I took while up in the air:

39453150174_d6a8adf775_h.jpg

I ... err... didn't stay up very long because I got very airsick. Right after taking those shots of Mt Fuji, I threw up mid-air and watched my .. err.. discharge fly into the beautiful scenery below. I signaled to my tandem para-sailing partner and he landed us immediately.

I apologised profusely to my tandem partner and then took this shot of another parasailer from the ground:

40164413961_2ee1b94a08_h.jpg

Last edited:
That’s so funny. You are much braver than me. That looked amazing.

Sadly I’m heading back home on Sunday after three weeks here. I’m back in Tokyo just now. If you ever find yourself in Scotland though, just give me a shout.

One of the first things I noticed was that the Japanese people well and truly embrace the bicycle, which I thought was awesome. There were bikes everywhere, some were very expensive bikes too, and they didn't have to be properly secured or locked up. Theft didn't seem to be a thing.

39721646144_e77b9f5ed1_h.jpg

26261842108_6a8e849975_h.jpg

28354900569_7d1093c4ea_h.jpg

26261837978_78259f1f56_h.jpg

39964797535_18d3550fb1_h.jpg

25798958987_860315d408_h.jpg

40388538502_7fea9d9797_h.jpg

38621494050_102b376a93_h.jpg

A) I keep laughing at the mental (thank you for not capturing that one) image of watching your own puke plummet thousands of feet below you.
B) That little folding Bianchi is crazy, I've never seen one before.

A) I keep laughing at the mental (thank you for not capturing that one) image of watching your own puke plummet thousands of feet below you.
B) That little folding Bianchi is crazy, I've never seen one before.

In response to Briar's response about my bravery, I say this: "It is better to have thrown up, than not thrown up at all".

There were all kinds of folding bikes there I'd never seen before but by far the one bike I kept seeing all over Tokyo and elsewhere in Japan was that yellow Hummer. I saw quite a few regular-sized Bianchis too. I have a shot somewhere of a Bianchi just parked unsecured outside a store or something like that. In Australia an unsecured bike like that would be stolen in 2 minutes flat.

The second thing I saw on my first day in Tokyo were these space-saving car parks. I've never seen anything like this, certainly not in Australia. The part that really amazed me was that some of these elevator car parks looked old and rickety, they'd been around for decades in Japan so it's not new tech and I am not living in the future. My only regret was that I never caught one of these things in action (ie. lifting or lowering a car).

40491925504_d78e44192a_h.jpg

26817035688_ca75aaf475_h.jpg

This area is called "Shimokitazawa". It is in Tokyo, and I would roughly compare it to the East Village in New York City. Sort of Bohemian, excellent inexpensive restaurants, bookstores, antiques. Lots of young people.

Right near the train station is a very interesting camera store with a lot of vintage Nikon. You should check it out next time you are in Tokyo.

shimokita.jpg
shimokita2.jpg

Here's my daughter eating Hokkaido-style sashimi in an Ueno, Tokyo restaurant:

View attachment 208845

My wife my was very surprised that I was willing to try as much sashimi and other "exotic" dishes as I did. I surprised myself a bit too. I think it's because in Australia I really don't want any but when I was in Japan, it looked so fresh and was presented so well I was happy to try some and quite enjoyed it. Her and her family took me to some really good restaurants there.

This area is called "Shimokitazawa". It is in Tokyo, and I would roughly compare it to the East Village in New York City. Sort of Bohemian, excellent inexpensive restaurants, bookstores, antiques. Lots of young people.

Right near the train station is a very interesting camera store with a lot of vintage Nikon. You should check it out next time you are in Tokyo.

Hey Shimokitazawa! That's very close to Setagaya where my in-laws live. I have indeed been there and enjoyed seeing the shops. I spent quite a considerable amount of time in a couple of the used goods stores there, particularly in the camera sections.

Back