Feedback Trophy?

Pete,

"Trophies" can be awarded to members for forum activities, like making X amount of posts or getting X amount 'Likes'. Each trophy is the associated to a number of points. It's a feature that was turned on last night and a task was run to calculate which trophies should be retro actively given. At the moment the stock feature for "trophies" is pretty basic so the actions were more aimed for getting ready for future usage.

When the task was run the intention was that members would not get the alerts to prevent the scenario you're describing of getting slammed with them all at once. Unfortunately the forum software generated the alerts when the task was run even though the feature was flagged as being disabled. It's an issue that I'll be raising with the software vendor.

If you're curious which ones were received, if you look at your profile page you'll see a new "Points" value. Clicking on the points will show which trophies have been received. Clicking on the "About" tab shows the same information at the bottom of the screen. The full list of currently available trophies can be view on the Help page and then clicking on the Trophies link.

And, before anybody asks, yes you can turn off alerts for any future trophies you might receive. At the bottom of your account preferences page turn off the alerts for "Awards you a new trophy" option. Going forward it's not something that should happen frequently so nobody should ever get that many alerts again at the same time. The exception would be if there was a new member and very rapidly posted a huge amount of new posts and very rapidly received a huge amount of 'likes' from those posts.

So, in short... sorry about that, a new feature was turned on and the software did not behave as expected, which will be addressed, resulting in some members getting an excessive amount of alerts all at once.

@Kevin is this related to everyone now being displayed as ‘regular’ in the avatar box on posts instead of the custom descriptions or tiers like ‘hall of famer’?
The short answer is "yes", but it has been reversed back.

The longer answer is that the titles are based on a defined value. For example, "Hall of Famer" has a value of 2,000 but the question is "2,000 what?" is where it can get interesting. From a system perspective it just's defined as "Hall of Famer = 2000" and it can be changed what the 2,000 represents. At the moment the 2,000 is posts so anybody who has achieved that count will hit the value and get the title.

Going back to trophies, each trophy has a point value and each member then has a cumulative trophy points value. Each individual trophy can be assigned a points value and defined what it is for. Trophies, and their corresponding points, could be achieved for making posts or getting a number of 'likes' or being a member for X amount of time or for posting resources or a myriad of other reasons. That cumulative amount of points for the member could then be used instead to drive the "Hall of Famer" title, so instead of having 2,000 posts the requirements could be 2,000 trophy points. It would take a lot of effort for somebody to rack up 2,000 trophy points.

The user titles like "Hall of Famer" have some default values or they can be custom defined. All of the ones here were custom defined in the past and the values like 2,000 were based on strictly post counts instead of taking into account trophy points (because somebody had previously completely removed all trophy definitions).

So with that all said, the end scenario is that you could end up with two members, one has a relatively low post count but they have been a member for a long time and all of their posts have received a huge amount of 'likes' and they are active in various other parts of the site (maybe uploading images to the media section or the resources section) while the second member has just joined recently and has rapidly created a large number of posts. The second member, if for example they quickly hit 500 posts, would end up showing as "Top Veteran" as their user title while the first member would still show as "Regular" or "Rookie". If we use trophy point values instead of message count values then it would be reversed, that the first member would have achieved "Top Veteran" while the second member would still have a "Regular" or "Rookie" title.

If/when we do switch the titles to be trophy point based instead of post count based it'll have to be taken into account how to make the switch while having any existing members keep their existing user title.

Wow! Life should be so complicated, to post and view a few pictures (or a lot). Sorry, I'm too old to deal with such drama. Have fun sorting that one out. :th_salute:
Yeah, it's a topic that's low on the To Do list priority wise. The whole idea of "trophies" & "points" is more of amusement thing and should not be taken seriously by anybody. The user titles is in the same, plus the 'subscribing members' can change theirs to whatever they want instead of using the software defined ones so for them it makes it a moot point.

I'd just like to know how I can win. And if it can be done from the comfort of my couch ;)
At the moment the maximum amount of trophy points achievable is 113 and nearly all of the regulars got maxed out when the task ran so you've already won. Well, OK, you've tied with a bunch of other people who also got 113 points at the moment, but you still won. :D 🤣

To give Luke the chance a being the sole winner 🏅 I'll be adding some new trophies. 🏆

(But I'll check with the software support guys about how to suppress the alerts before running the task again to retroactively award them.)

For a minute "Enemy of the State" ran through my mind because I suddenly got a rash of "Top Fan" badges on that big blue Social Media network. Coincidence is reassuring. And I'm very entertained by the trophies I have so far.

To give Luke the chance a being the sole winner 🏅 I'll be adding some new trophies. 🏆

(But I'll check with the software support guys about how to suppress the alerts before running the task again to retroactively award them.)

well the alerts weren't suppressed (no big deal on my end...I usually just scan them quickly to see if it's anything important)

And now that I see I have 214 points, I'd like to know if there is a scoreboard somewhere. :dance3:

well the alerts weren't suppressed
Son of a.... dang it, I did NOT run the task to recount trophy tasks so it looks like merely adding the trophies to the list resulted them in being recalculated & applied.

Before I go wild and add any more I'll wait for the support guys to see if I can suppress them somehow.

Back