Fuji Trying out a 10 year old Fujifilm HS30EXR superzoom bridge camera

melanie.ylang

Veteran
Here are some words that come to mind, when I think of a superzoom, in roughly this order: fun, zoomy, miraculous, versatile, compromised, frustrating, disappointing. But I still went and touched the hot wire! Feeling equally bored and inquisitive, I recently bought a used HS30EXR to play around with, knowing it was destined to be all those words previously mentioned.

The only other superzooms I have had were Panasonic Lumixes: a TZ80 and FZ300, both with the tiniest of noisy sensors, and they were fun to use, but ultimately disappointing. But this one has a (faintly larger) 1/2" sensor, so surely it should be MUCH BETTER! Well, no, of course it isn't. But it IS fun, and having a long-burning fire for Fujifilm cameras (especially a manual zoom on a compact, like my beloved X30) it couldn't really be helped.

As with other photographic genres, I have idle fancies of being a "bird photographer", despite not having the patience for good fieldcraft. Fortunately, where I live there are lots of wild birds; unfortunately for me, these wild birds aren't generally keen on being spied on with humans holding a weird, big, black "eye", and fly off with little provocation.

Poking about my yard, I encountered some mid-afternoon-sleepy sulfur-crested cockatoos, who did tolerate my nosiness. I tried shooting JPEG (I'm not a RAW shooter, please don't even suggest it), Medium size, EXR, or Program or Shutter priority, continuous frame low or medium. Here are some edited results in the next post.

Last edited:
The first photo is unedited for reference. The rest were edited in Snapseed app on a Samsung tablet. Most were shot at or near full zoom.
S0611711-02.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
S0611711-03.jpeg
S0231639-01.jpeg
S0581700-01.jpeg
S0451675-01.jpeg
S0511687-01.jpeg

Attachments

• S0611711-02.jpeg
    S0611711-02.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 135
  • S0611711-03.jpeg
    S0611711-03.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Like you Melanie, I've had closet musings of being a wildlife photographer, but I also don't like to sit and wait. I've tried carrying different Fuji cameras with either a 50-230 or 55-200 in my handlebar bag, but those combinations are just not bike friendly. So I either stick with my Olympus camera with a short zoom, or I carry my own X30.

Back