Fuji Showcase TTArtisan AF 27mm f/2.8 - fatally flawed.

Herbert Hound

Top Veteran
Name
Colin
I'm afraid that "The Thinking Artisan" (as the box refers to the company) is less than impressed with this lens.... with the caveat that it was £159 rather than the £400 for the Fuji lens.
The sharpness, clarity, contrast and general rendering of the lens is really good... but the vignetting is brutal. On to the examples...

The first piccie with any new gear was promising...

DSCF6260.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The out of focus parts look really good...

DSCF6255.jpg

But the vignetting at f/2.8 is unacceptable...

DSCF6256.jpg

...and it's still visible at f/5.6...

DSCF6279.jpg

However; it made me remember whay I love this focal length as it immediately felt so right compared to the 35mm f/2 that I have been struggling with for a while now.

Yes, I don't often (never?) shoot landscape at 2.8....
Informal tests need to be realistic of typical use. No real surprise that a cheap wide angle has edge falloff at wide apertures both sharpness and illumination.

Gerry

Last edited:
All valid points. I take most of my photos while out walking my dog and having a camera+lens combo that fits in my jacket pocket is a real plus point.

I'm trying to take SooC jpegs with Fuji film simulations so I would like to avoid using PP to remove the vignette and, as much as I like and often use a slight vignette, these ones aren't very pleasant and don't remove very successfully.

I sometimes shoot wide open when I'm taking landscape pics to deliberately blur out backgrounds for effect or subject isolation as in the first pic below. The second pic below is at f/8 and also has a noticeable vignette.

These comments are just FYI so anyone who's thinking of buying one of these knows what they're getting into and whether it's worth it to them to buy this or the Fuji lens - which is what these specific showcase threads are all about. If I thought they were good pictures I'd have posted them in the general forum.

DSCF6312.jpg

DSCF6303.jpg

Back