Nikon Turns out I'm a bit of a bokeh whore - who knew?!?!?!

Ray, I just LOVE those shots. I'm envious of your bokeh lenses which have AF, mine are all manual and my eyes are betraying me in recent years. I think my favourite is the first... when I saw it I was mentally saying YESYESYESSSSSS!!! Love it.
Thanks Sue. The "bokeh lens which has AF" is just the Nikon 58 f1.4 and I'm only renting it at this point. My other "bokeh lenses" are all manual focus. This is a bit of a conundrum because I love the bokeh of the Nikon and find the AF useful, but it's a big ugly blob of plastic and I don't enjoy it at all from a tactile perspective. On top of which its really pricey. At the moment I'm finding myself able to rationalize it (I can afford it pretty easily if I return the Voigtlander and sell three other "neutral" lenses that it would make irrelevant (two of which are probably irrelevant anyway). But this is not a focal length I've ever really liked that much before and I occasionally find myself saying, "you're crazy even THINK about investing this heavily in a focal length you may not really USE that much just because you're sucked in by the creamy bokeh"? Of course, if I do buy it, MAYBE I'd use it a lot and fall in love with the focal length (kind of happened with the RX1 because of that incredible lens). But if not, it's an awful lot of un-needed disruption to have an expensive and little used lens on my shelf. Most of my expensive lenses are at focal lengths I love and shoot all the time (21 and 25mm Zeiss). The couple I have or have had at focal lengths that weren't in my wheelhouse have sat unused far too much and I've eventually ended up selling them anyway. I have a Zeiss 100mm in that situation right now. I can't bring myself to sell it yet because I really love it when I do find a use for it, but I don't get nearly enough use out of it and my bet is I'll sell it at some point. And all of my other lenses at this point range from reasonably priced to dirt freaking cheap!

So I'm in love with the rendering of the Nikon 58 at the moment, but I haven't bought it. And as tempted as my lizard brain is, my rational brain is reminding me that this has "failed experiment" written all over it.

I really appreciate your feedback, but as usual, if this was an EASY call I'd have already pulled the trigger. ;)

-Ray

Ray, stepping out of the comfort zone (using other focal length) stirs creativity! ;-) (OK. I admit that you already have lots of creativity in your photos, so not really a good argument).

Personally I don't mind it's made of plastic. I'd rather have a lightweight lens that is made of longlasting plastic than a heavy lens made of metal.

I was amazed by the versatility if you just go out and shoot with one (this) lens. Some examples: (photos not sharpened)

p1541631969-6.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p1541632591-5.jpg

p1874784525-5.jpg

p1663846062-5.jpg

p1623373737-6.jpg

p1739844251-6.jpg

p1678158279-6.jpg

Ray, stepping out of the comfort zone (using other focal length) stirs creativity! ;-) (OK. I admit that you already have lots of creativity in your photos, so not really a good argument).

Personally I don't mind it's made of plastic. I'd rather have a lightweight lens that is made of longlasting plastic than a heavy lens made of metal.

p1678158279-6.jpg
Yeah, the focal length thing is real, but the difference between the Voigtlander and the Nikon G at the same basic spec is pretty subtle. It's really noticeable when you're as tuned into it as I am at the moment, but I'm not sure how much that's gonna matter once I'm out of this particular narrow photographic ravine. The Voigtlander is all metal and glass, but is notably more compact than the Nikon G, and slightly lighter as well. Probably the AF motor adds something to both the size and weight of the Nikon.

I like a lot of those shots, but this last one really made me laugh - who's already making metal public statues of kids playing with an iPad??? ;)

Here are a few more - a couple with bokeh, a couple without. I can't deny I'm having a lot of fun shooting with this lens at the moment. A bit more tactile fun with the Voigtlander, but the subtlety of the Nikon rendering is really getting under my skin. I sort of equate it to getting a new effects box when I played electric guitar as a kid - for a while I'd be so turned on by the SOUND I was getting that I wouldn't really be making music with it at all - just playing for the sound. Eventually you incorporate it, but at first it's sort of a buzz all on it's own.

22886132109_37e98d32fb_b.jpg
Philly-183-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

22626975983_a17634de80_b.jpg
Philly-281-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

22614975384_1cb4876895_h.jpg
Philly-211-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

22565965473_ee7c711126_h.jpg
Philly-170-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Thanks Sue. The "bokeh lens which has AF" is just the Nikon 58 f1.4 and I'm only renting it at this point. My other "bokeh lenses" are all manual focus. This is a bit of a conundrum because I love the bokeh of the Nikon and find the AF useful, but it's a big ugly blob of plastic and I don't enjoy it at all from a tactile perspective. On top of which its really pricey.

-Ray

Yes, I realised that later after I began contemplating switching to Nikon to be able to access more lens variety. Instead, I will probably spend more time investigating those I have already, and wearing my glasses when I am trying to focus (I usually take them off). I've got the beginnings of macular degeneration so its only going to get worse as the years wear on.

For me, usually, it has to be about the distance between the subject and the background. Lenses with a relatively small max aperture just don't cut it, otherwise.

This was with the much maligned Tamron 70-300
15164718882_797a070d19_b.jpg
All together now...
by Sue Wotton, on Flickr

And, my 35mm f/2.8 does OK at times.
16301365382_862c8df834_b.jpg
Mosquito on Agapanthus
by Sue Wotton, on Flickr

Then, the Nikon 1 18.5mm is also very useful. I think it may be my favourite at the moment.
12674773415_17a15701e8_b.jpg
Bag
by Sue Wotton, on Flickr

Last edited:
I have been a bokeh... er... "person of horizontally negotiable virtue" ...for my entire photographic life. It's why I love Sonnars. You can't beat a bit of bokeh to make your images pop. I know it's unfashionable, but it works for me...
18928741.2c73ac49.1600.jpg

Venice 33
par Lightmancer, on ipernity
36013797.3c9630f1.1600.jpg

NHM Guy 3 X-Pro 1
36571364.b7e5e3b7.1600.jpg

SiJ Day 7 Pot Black
35467211.0b686d13.1600.jpg

Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red 14
Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red 14 par Lightmancer, on ipernity
35957987.0992bad7.1600.jpg

Guildford Angel X-Pro1 23mm 1

There's even something to be said for the gnarly stuff... this from a Canon 50mm f1.2 LTM:
18269485.43b9e88a.jpg

Angel M7 Canon 50 1.2

Last edited:
For anyone interested, I've shot with these lenses enough to make up my mind and, as much as I prefer the tactile feel of the Voigtlander, I'm going for the Nikon 58G. The Voigtlander is boxed for return. My rental 58G goes back Monday and I've just bought a refurbished 58G, which I paid $100 more for than the cheapest used price I was able to find. I figured for this expensive a lens, with it's own AF motor (most of my AF lenses depend on the camera's screw drive for AF), getting a full year Nikon USA warranty was worth the extra $100. With cheap lenses, I tend to go as cheap as possible for one in OK shape, but this is still a sizable chunk of change.

The Voigtlander has fine bokeh, great in some circumstances, a bit busy in others. The Nikon's is pretty creamy no matter what you throw at it. Also, I found AF to be a pretty nice thing to have at this focal length given how well it works for shooting people, and people aren't always waiting for you to nail focus and get the shot. I've come to really like this focal length so I was definitely gonna get one of them, and it ultimately wasn't a very tough choice once I'd spent some time with each.

Here are a few last shots from Thursday and Friday with just one of our daughters home for Thanksgiving...

22722346583_c6cd5c2b17_h.jpg
Thanksgiving-7-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

22719166094_67c1c647ee_h.jpg
Thanksgiving-16-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

23239182002_957a8a1e29_b.jpg
Thanksgiving-24-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

22720386073_6d9d675bdd_h.jpg
Thanksgiving-31-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

23356607135_1f55106c37_b.jpg
Chestnut Hill-13-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

23000893589_668efcab8a_b.jpg
Chestnut Hill-65-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Wonderful photos, Ray!
And congratulations with your new lens.
I am looking forward to seeing some street photos taken with the 58.
I am sure you will enjoy the lens for a long time!

I'm always on the search after a good bokeh lens. I've noticed my taste of what a good bokeh had has to be had changed and will change.
Sometimes I'm searching for a good isolation of my subject. Sometimes I like a smooth or more defined bokeh.
There are always phases where I'm eager to test a new lens for this

Here as a example - Fuji with focal reducer and Samyang 85mm/1.4

23262179221_6c547fe284_b.jpg

Or my new acquisition for Fuji - the XF 90/2 (the first XF lens after a while which I do like), open aperture and tack sharp

22842892150_fe00a5a49b_b.jpg

For Sony I could use the 135mm STF for a smooth bokeh.

At the moment I would prefer what I've seen of the Voigtländer 58mm/1.4 (Topcon copy ?) over a 58mm/1.4G which for me is a tick too soft in focus. But I'm sure it is in good hands with you. Congratulation for the new lens.

Last edited:
I'm always on the search after a good bokeh lens. I've noticed my taste of what a good bokeh had has to be had changed and will change.
Sometimes I'm searching for a good isolation of my subject. Sometimes I like a smooth or more defined bokeh.
There are always phases where I'm eager to test a new lens for this

Or my new acquisition for Fuji - the XF 90/2 (the first XF lens after a while which I do like), open aperture and tack sharp

22842892150_fe00a5a49b_b.jpg

For Sony I could use the 135mm STF for a smooth bokeh.

At the moment I would prefer what I've seen of the Voigtländer 58mm/1.4 (Topcon copy ?) over a 58mm/1.4G which for me is a tick too soft in focus. But I'm sure it is in good hands with you. Congratulation for the new lens.

The nice thing about bokeh is that, unlike sharpness and curvature and CA and all of the other tech stuff, you can't really test for the best - it's just a matter of what you like and when you like it. All a matter of taste. At this point, I prefer the softness of the 58G bokeh, even if it gives up a little bit of sharpness in the in-focus areas. Maybe because I've had lenses that render more like the Voigtlander. But if the Voigtlander had AF, it would have been tougher choice.

I love the look of that Fuji 90 and love the subject matter of that shot. Interesting how the foreground bokeh balls are so sharply defined while those in the background are so smooth. If that lens and the 16mm had been in the Fuji arsenal when I was using their gear, I might still be. Probably not because I had a pretty good full frame jones going, but I always liked Fuji primes, if not necessarily for bokeh... Loved the 14 and 23 at the time...

-Ray

I love the look of that Fuji 90 and love the subject matter of that shot. Interesting how the foreground bokeh balls are so sharply defined while those in the background are so smooth.

I'm not absolutely sure but this could be a sign of modern lens construction. Older lenses often have defined rings in the backround. At newer ones the background blur (if they are optimized and not too harsh because of aspheric elements) is often very smooth in contrast to the foreground.

Last edited:
If anyone had suggested to me when I first got back into photography again about 5 1/2 years ago that I'd turn into a bokeh snob, I wouldn't have believed them. Hell, I wouldn't have known what they were talking about. I knew all about the relationship between aperture and DOF and how to isolate a subject from my experience in the film days, but I'd never really thought about the QUALITY of the out of focus areas... Well, it turns out, now I think about it, almost to the point of obsession...
-Ray

Hehe welcome to my world! I bent to the will of the bokeh beast a few years ago and I am not going to apologize because I love it! Sounds like you found the lens you want and you're right, it's all about how it pleases your eye and there really aren't stats on that. Some people like creamy, some like busy, some like round bokeh balls, some like octagonal etc. I have a Zeiss C Sonnar 50mm 1.5 that I've been shooting with for about 6 months now. Rented and then decided to buy one. I am so used to manual shooting that I don't even think autofocus anymore.. and my eyes aren't so great but that is what focus peaking on the A7II is for. Btw, yea uncompressed raw update! Anyway, when I have to use the vf I do well enough. Recently got the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 and I'm in the process of testing that. Wasn't too crazy about the purple fringing shooting high contrast at 1.2 and I can't promise that I'll stop seeking the light but stopping down would probably help there. We'll see. Also have a Zeiss 25mm 2.8 on the way (got a good deal) but I'm already kinda scoffing at that 2.8 lol. Sunset at the classic/antique car meets and I really do need those stops.

Welcome to the dark side Ray.. and have fun!

Hehe welcome to my world! I bent to the will of the bokeh beast a few years ago and I am not going to apologize because I love it! Sounds like you found the lens you want and you're right, it's all about how it pleases your eye and there really aren't stats on that. Some people like creamy, some like busy, some like round bokeh balls, some like octagonal etc. I have a Zeiss C Sonnar 50mm 1.5 that I've been shooting with for about 6 months now. Rented and then decided to buy one. I am so used to manual shooting that I don't even think autofocus anymore.. and my eyes aren't so great but that is what focus peaking on the A7II is for. Btw, yea uncompressed raw update! Anyway, when I have to use the vf I do well enough. Recently got the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 and I'm in the process of testing that. Wasn't too crazy about the purple fringing shooting high contrast at 1.2 and I can't promise that I'll stop seeking the light but stopping down would probably help there. We'll see. Also have a Zeiss 25mm 2.8 on the way (got a good deal) but I'm already kinda scoffing at that 2.8 lol. Sunset at the classic/antique car meets and I really do need those stops.

Welcome to the dark side Ray.. and have fun!
Hey Kristin - long time! What have you been up to?

Kind of funny how preferences change. For the longest time, I didn't really like shooting with anything between about 28 and 85, and with a LOT more shooting at 28 and wider than 85 and longer. Now I find myself seeing images in this mid-focal length, incorporating lots of OOF areas and bokeh. And suddenly my wide angle lenses feel sort of crude. One thing I always loved about wide stuff was the way lines and angles all had a way of converging, almost a built-in composition, pulling the eye into the frame without having to think about it or work for it very much. Now that sort of feels like cheating, like it's too easy. Which of course is just stupid rationalizing for what I happen to be enjoying at the moment. It's all fun stuff and I'm sure I'll get back to plenty of wide stuff again soon enough. And I have to assume that it all makes you a better photographer - nothing wrong with broadening it out.

Glad you're enjoying the A7II - as many cool lenses as there are for the Nikon, it sounds like there's a whole other world of stuff the A7 family will work with. Focus peaking is a nice aid, but oddly enough I never enjoyed manual focus very much when I was in the mirrorless world and only re-discovered it's charms when I started shooting with the DF. Maybe because it reminded me of my past with film SLRs - I don't know. But I put a split prism focus screen in the DF and between that and the little MF guides in the OVF (little left and right arrows to guide you and a green ball when you hit focus), I actually find it easier, or at least more fun, than I ever managed with focus peaking in an evf. Not what I'd have expected. But this particular bokeh-licious lens is AF anyway and when it's there, I use it...

It doesn't feel too much like the dark side at the moment. ;)

-Ray

Hey Ray,

I'm looking, in the end to have 28 (or 25..), 35, 50 & something in that 80 range.. and then something that zooms for an all purpose or maybe just a little zoom camera. I can use my canon, konica. and of course the zeiss and voigtlander lenses so there's no hurry to shop but I grabbed a couple good deals so I'll give them a go. 1.2 came in handy tonight shooting deer at dusk and at only 100 iso.

You know when you shoot the same thing for a long time you can get bored so I can see how all this bokeh and shallow dof is inspiring to you. Of course you knew what it was but you never really indulged in it and what better way to tell a story than utilizing the ability to isolate your subject within the tale. The best thing about changing up is that you keep learning, refresh your desire to keep shooting and nothing that you have done is ever a waste. And you can still utilize the same tricks you used shooting wide, up close, it's all about how you frame it.

Having AF as backup isn't a bad thing either. I don't have any sony lenses, the closest I get is that my canon adapter can read focal length, but it still can't focus for me. Old schoolin' it maybe but I've gotten really quick about cranking the lens into focus. My peaking works through the vf as well, I just don't like bumping my glasses lol. And no it really isn't a dark side but people have such varied opinions about bokeh when really it's just another technique. I've heard the arguments over lenses too, why does anyone need larger than 2.8, etc.. and to me it's all about capturing the light, and versatility.

I haven't had the chance to really peruse the forum for months, too much happening too quick here and not a lot of it good, but when I saw your post the title made me grin and I had to sneak a few words in because 'bokeh whore' is bound to stir the pot. Here though on this forum the people are decent and the battles just don't erupt because everyone accepts each others camera/photography diversity which is great.

Can't wait to see more of your bokehlicious shots. I think you need the t-shirt now! The question is.. are you brave enough to wear it :D

-K

Hey Ray,

I'm looking, in the end to have 28 (or 25..), 35, 50 & something in that 80 range.. and then something that zooms for an all purpose or maybe just a little zoom camera. I can use my canon, konica. and of course the zeiss and voigtlander lenses so there's no hurry to shop but I grabbed a couple good deals so I'll give them a go. 1.2 came in handy tonight shooting deer at dusk and at only 100 iso.

You know when you shoot the same thing for a long time you can get bored so I can see how all this bokeh and shallow dof is inspiring to you. Of course you knew what it was but you never really indulged in it and what better way to tell a story than utilizing the ability to isolate your subject within the tale. The best thing about changing up is that you keep learning, refresh your desire to keep shooting and nothing that you have done is ever a waste. And you can still utilize the same tricks you used shooting wide, up close, it's all about how you frame it.

Having AF as backup isn't a bad thing either. I don't have any sony lenses, the closest I get is that my canon adapter can read focal length, but it still can't focus for me. Old schoolin' it maybe but I've gotten really quick about cranking the lens into focus. My peaking works through the vf as well, I just don't like bumping my glasses lol. And no it really isn't a dark side but people have such varied opinions about bokeh when really it's just another technique. I've heard the arguments over lenses too, why does anyone need larger than 2.8, etc.. and to me it's all about capturing the light, and versatility.

I haven't had the chance to really peruse the forum for months, too much happening too quick here and not a lot of it good, but when I saw your post the title made me grin and I had to sneak a few words in because 'bokeh whore' is bound to stir the pot. Here though on this forum the people are decent and the battles just don't erupt because everyone accepts each others camera/photography diversity which is great.

Can't wait to see more of your bokehlicious shots. I think you need the t-shirt now! The question is.. are you brave enough to wear it :D

-K
Yeah, variety is good. I shot 50, 50, and 50 as a kid - that's about all there was that was remotely decent and affordable in those days. And I never wanted for anything else. But since I got back into it, I haven't been able to shoot with them at all. So I decided to spend a lot of time in that neighborhood and see if I could get to know it again and, it took a good long while, but it's finally feeling like home again. This particular lens helps...

Sorry to hear you've been consumed with too much going on and not much of it good - whatever's going on I wish you the best in dealing with it and getting through it.

As for the tee-shirt, black tee-shirts have been the mainstay of my summer wardrobe for most of the non-working days of my life. But, no, I'm not sure I AM brave enough to wear that one... ;)

-Ray

Yeah, variety is good. I shot 50, 50, and 50 as a kid - that's about all there was that was remotely decent and affordable in those days. And I never wanted for anything else. But since I got back into it, I haven't been able to shoot with them at all. So I decided to spend a lot of time in that neighborhood and see if I could get to know it again and, it took a good long while, but it's finally feeling like home again. This particular lens helps...

-Ray

So like you I have tested a lens, the Zeiss 25mm 2.8 ZM (on my sony a7m2) that I said I had on order. Beautiful lens, amazing color, warm and rich, razor sharp, but for me too wide at 25mm and the 2.8 while isolating subjects and providing the right amount of 3d pop.. isn't bokelicious enough for me (maybe it's psychologica lol). So if anyone needs this lens it was rated "Like New Minus" by Keh, for not having a box or warranty, otherwise it is pristine and I can give you a good price haha. Otherwise I will be sending it back.

On another note, the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 is pretty decent. A few more tests but that one may be a keeper. I prefer big brother Zeiss but the 35mm 1.4 is twice as much, ugh.

I haven't scoured the site but have you posted more images Ray?

And has anyone tried the Mitakon 85mm .95? Maybe I will do another tele rather than wide.

That Zeiss sounds like the Sony version of the Distagon with the same spec they sell for Nikon and Canon, but I'm not sure if there are significant differences between the Biogon and Distagon designs. I wouldn't expect a lens this wide to be all that good for bokeh - its a nice bonus if it doesn't suck - although there are a few wides with really nice bokeh. Then again, this is a semi-macro shot from my Zeiss 25 f2.8 on the Nikon, which has a very close focus semi-macro capability, that shows reasonably nice bokeh. You've gotta get close to find it, but it's there under limited circumstances.

15056552834_6147517206_b.jpg
Philly Zeiss-146-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

I know there's a whole other catalog of lenses available for the A7 family that I don't have a real shot at, but OTOH, the Nikon catalog is pretty deep too. I recently picked up a 1972 (roughly - could be a year either way) 105 f2.5 P, which is a Sonnar design, for about $100. The lens, in a word, is stunningly good - very sharp wide open and with silky smooth bokeh and a beautiful rendering. So good I just sold my Zeiss 100 f2 to another forum member, because I wasn't using it enough to justify the $$$ I had in it and this 105 Sonnar would cut into the Zeiss's use by a lot more.

I've posted a few additional shots in the Nikon DF thread I think - I figured this one had sort of run it's course.

Have fun with that Sony and all of the lens choices available for that!

-Ray

Back