Two APS-C makers that get it?

mike3996

Legend
screens.png

(Clickable image)

An assortment of modern cameras and lenses with 11-35 mm-eqv zoom lenses or thereabouts.

Interestingly, Canon M and Leica TL are the ones that get what you can achieve with the smaller image circle of the smaller crop factor. Truly impressive.

Hmm... Once you factor in lens speed and the laws of physics the playing field is a lot more level.

As one who has never used a wideangle zoom such as an 11-35 but does have a penchant for small, light, fast primes - something which stood me in good stead in 25 years of Leica M use and now Fuji, I have to say I'm happy.

My hunch is that it's mostly digital corrections for distortion, vignetting, etc that truly make a lot of these lenses smaller...

E.g. older four thirds lenses are massive (compared to the imaging circle), but nicely optically corrected.
A lot of the new micro four thirds lenses are almost fisheyes at the wide end - until the digital distortion correction kicks in... But those lenses are small :)

I think Fuji also does this very well. I agree with Tillman on this. The better corrected the lens is optically, the bigger it is. Look at the mu43 Olympus Pro series. Leica has always been happier with their lenses having “character”. Corner to corner sharpness from wide open often increases size.

I also note (since I finally clicked on the link to Camera Size) that the lenses are not all the same speed, e.g., the fuji is a constant aperture f4 whereas the canon is 4-5.6. The Lecia does have that slick milled aluminum body, however. I'd like to hold one.

M4/3 offers another option that is much smaller than the one you selected, a good bit smaller than the Canon, and more similar to the Canon.

1578590930606.png

Back