Fuji Two new Voigtländer lenses for X-Mount

I actually noticed the lens has already been available around here since about three weeks. Which is kind of baffling because you essentially can't find any samples, reviews or at least some hands-on reports. Even on DPR I didn't really find anything, although there always have been some fans of the previous Voigtländer lenses around here.
There is a German forum fully dedicated to Fujifilm on which a few users already own the 50mm Nokton, I can't check his samples because I am not a registrated member there, but according the comments, it seems to be the "sharpest" lens of the X-Mount Nokton trio, like the rest however, the you'll have to stop down to ~f2.0 in order to get "sharper" results, while wide(r) open the lens still produces a more "dreamy" look.

Images are descriped as sharp, but not agressively sharp like the Fujifilm 56mm f1.2 - it retains a very natural, almost analog-like rendering and has similar characteristics as the other two X-Mount Noktons wide open.

That's pretty much about what I could find about this lens. I could find a 50mm f1.2 review on a Fujifilm GFX 50R - however that's an adapted M-Mount lens, which uses a different lens design.

I actually noticed the lens has already been available around here since about three weeks. Which is kind of baffling because you essentially can't find any samples, reviews or at least some hands-on reports. Even on DPR I didn't really find anything, although there always have been some fans of the previous Voigtländer lenses around here.
There is a German forum fully dedicated to Fujifilm on which a few users already own the 50mm Nokton, I can't check his samples because I am not a registrated member there, but according the comments, it seems to be the "sharpest" lens of the X-Mount Nokton trio, like the rest however, the you'll have to stop down to ~f2.0 in order to get "sharper" results, while wide(r) open the lens still produces a more "dreamy" look.

Images are descriped as sharp, but not agressively sharp like the Fujifilm 56mm f1.2 - it retains a very natural, almost analog-like rendering and has similar characteristics as the other two X-Mount Noktons wide open.

That's pretty much about what I could find about this lens. I could find a 50mm f1.2 review on a Fujifilm GFX 50R - however that's an adapted M-Mount lens, which uses a different lens design.

FM has a thread on this lens, with samples from users: New Cosina Voigtländer 50/1.2 for Fuji X announced for September

Thanks for the link Craig, I actually missed that one on Fred Miranda. The linked images are looking very promising, they seem to back up the comments on the German Fujifilm forums regarding the image quality and lens' character.

On a slightly different topic: The 35mm f0.9 also seems to have started shipping, I stumbled across a Reddit posting which also a download link to number of sample images.

The lens arrived yesterday in the late afternoon. Nicely packaged, it has a certain heft to it and feels heavier than the size might suggest, just like the 23mm sibling. However that shouldn't come as a surprise, since it's rated at 290g by Voigtländer. It sports a similar design language as the existing line-up of their X-Mount lenses, for example the lens hood again is more are less kind of an extension ring which simply screws onto the lens. Build quality is, as expected, amazing, the focus ring is buttery smooth, the aperture ring is well stepped, not too stiff and surely not too loose either - unlike the 23mm it doesn't come with a molded "grip" to further indicate the current setting.

On my X-Pro3 the 50mm Nokton still feels very nicely balanced. Speaking of the X-Pro3, the lens has a great compatibility with the OVF, as it is just blocking a fairly small portion of the viewfinder, if you - like me - are using the RF patch anyways, it won't get in the way. The lens barrel protrudes with the closer focusing distance and is contracted at close to infinity.

It's pouring the whole day already, so I haven't really gotten out in order to try it. I did take some casual shots in my apartment, which I will share later on within a dedicated showcase thread.

53288715812_094c015b8b_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
PA272455_DxO by Kaltpfote, auf Flickr

As you can see, the lens fits very well for the X-Pro line of cameras, if you skip the lens hood or maybe look for a different one, you can easily save ~2cm in length. I am not sure yet if I will get a protective filter, as the front element is quite large and the lens fairly expensive.
53289597486_48ed912397_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
PA272456_DxO by Kaltpfote, auf Flickr

Edit: Some first impressions - the lens has the characteristic, glowing "dreamy" sort of look you'll also find on the 23mm and 35mm Noktons. Unlike my 23mm however, which retains this sort of dreaminess until at least f1.6, the 50mm mostly sports it at f1.2 and 1.4, stepping down to f1.6 already seems to mostly getting rid of it. The lens also seems to be a bit sharper wide open than the 23mm, I also noticed focusing at f1.2 seems to be a bit easier with the 50mm.

Last edited:
The lens arrived yesterday in the late afternoon. Nicely packaged, it has a certain heft to it and feels heavier than the size might suggest, just like the 23mm sibling. However that shouldn't come as a surprise, since it's rated at 290g by Voigtländer. It sports a similar design language as the existing line-up of their X-Mount lenses, for example the lens hood again is more are less kind of an extension ring which simply screws onto the lens. Build quality is, as expected, amazing, the focus ring is buttery smooth, the aperture ring is well stepped, not too stiff and surely not too loose either - unlike the 23mm it doesn't come with a molded "grip" to further indicate the current setting.

On my X-Pro3 the 50mm Nokton still feels very nicely balanced. Speaking of the X-Pro3, the lens has a great compatibility with the OVF, as it is just blocking a fairly small portion of the viewfinder, if you - like me - are using the RF patch anyways, it won't get in the way. The lens barrel protrudes with the closer focusing distance and is contracted at close to infinity.

It's pouring the whole day already, so I haven't really gotten out in order to try it. I did take some casual shots in my apartment, which I will share later on within a dedicated showcase thread.

View attachment 424111PA272455_DxO by Kaltpfote, auf Flickr

As you can see, the lens fits very well for the X-Pro line of cameras, if you skip the lens hood or maybe look for a different one, you can easily save ~2cm in length. I am not sure yet if I will get a protective filter, as the front element is quite large and the lens fairly expensive.
View attachment 424112PA272456_DxO by Kaltpfote, auf Flickr

Edit: Some first impressions - the lens has the characteristic, glowing "dreamy" sort of look you'll also find on the 23mm and 35mm Noktons. Unlike my 23mm however, which retains this sort of dreaminess until at least f1.6, the 50mm mostly sports it at f1.2 and 1.4, stepping down to f1.6 already seems to mostly getting rid of it. The lens also seems to be a bit sharper wide open than the 23mm, I also noticed focusing at f1.2 seems to be a bit easier with the 50mm.
Wow, those lenses look great with the X-Pro3. Enjoy!

Back