Fuji Two pieces of equipment Fuji should make

There are two things that Fuji could easily make (or, for that matter, a third party, with Fuji in mind) which would make life easier for us.

The first is an X-E battery pack/grip. The camera is just too small for grownups to hold. I have grips for both of my X-E2s and for my X-Pro1, and they're too short to wrap all one's fingers around. In addition, an extra battery would provide a shooting day equivalent to that of other cameras.

The second, and this would give Fuji a real advantage, is a Bluetooth or wifi screen, size of a big postage stamp, that would clip to one's glasses and provide a viewfinder image. Then it would be possible to hold the camera down low or high above one's head and still frame properly. This would be especially useful in news gathering, but it would be of help to normal users as well.

Doncha think?

The second, and this would give Fuji a real advantage, is a Bluetooth or wifi screen, size of a big postage stamp, that would clip to one's glasses and provide a viewfinder image. Then it would be possible to hold the camera down low or high above one's head and still frame properly. This would be especially useful in news gathering, but it would be of help to normal users as well.
You want to be a cyborg? That is a level of nerdery that is probably too much for any camera manufacturer to contemplate.

O could see it being a Google glad to device integration... But to have it be a stand alone device from a camera maker, I agree... Probably took far and too niche.
Here's an idea which I shouldn't give away, though I like it enough to see someone else make it: a simple EVF with an OLED and optics that has a cold shoe mount, and a small wire that connects to the camera's monitor/computer port, so any camera that allows for wired operation can have a hotshoe mounted EVF. The wire could be integrated into a separate grip or just tucked out of the way with a bit of gaffer's tape.

O could see it being a Google glass to device integration... But to have it be a stand alone device from a camera maker, I agree... Probably took far and too niche.
It was the first thing I thought about when Google glass came out. And I think G-glass runs on Android, meaning that the Fuji software ought to run on it. Thing is, I think Google glass is available no more for consumer purchase.

Last edited:
Totally agree. When I had my X-E3, these are what I wanted, especially number 2. I wanted something like a Google Glass, a wearable view finder, that can be a real game changer.

XE footprint was always intended to be a (large) coat pocket camera. There are grips to get the soap bar design more ergo, but I'm glad they didn't have a battery grip, which would go against the base design. As long as the rear LCD can flip out and have a good field of movement, I'm satisfied with it. What I actually dislike with the latest X designs is the touch-screen. My nose will trigger a lot of unintended actions.

I'm glad they didn't have a battery grip, which would go against the base design.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but you would have been under no obligation to purchase one. And it's not as if the X-E has overly long battery life. Nor is the X-E any flavor of coat-pocket camera with anything but a very few of the available lenses attached. IMHO.

XE footprint was always intended to be a (large) coat pocket camera. There are grips to get the soap bar design more ergo, but I'm glad they didn't have a battery grip, which would go against the base design. As long as the rear LCD can flip out and have a good field of movement, I'm satisfied with it. What I actually dislike with the latest X designs is the touch-screen. My nose will trigger a lot of unintended actions.
Do any of the XE have flip out screens?

There are two things that Fuji could easily make (or, for that matter, a third party, with Fuji in mind) which would make life easier for us.

The first is an X-E battery pack/grip. The camera is just too small for grownups to hold. I have grips for both of my X-E2s and for my X-Pro1, and they're too short to wrap all one's fingers around. In addition, an extra battery would provide a shooting day equivalent to that of other cameras.

Doncha think?
Not for me. I can hold that body just fine and I like it small. If I want full grip, the xh1 and grip gives max hand area.
Just to note, I have no objection to a grip. I just wouldn’t buy it.

Last edited:
What Fuji should really make is dead simple.
- instax wide portable printer, and to really make a killing:
- give it a touchscreen and stock android, so owners of other cameras can download their respective image transfer apps, to remove the phone from the workflow from camera to printer. So even with a Nikon or whatever, you'd simply connect camera to the app on the printer, transfer images, and hit "print". And with instax wide, you'd have a print size worth displaying.

I think a pair of Fuji glasses like the hybrid viewfinder (like the X100 and X-Pro) would be AMAZING. It it needs to have that little toggle that switches between OVF (with projected framing lines based on your lens) and EVF.

The smaller the better. I wish Fuji would consider an X Pro 3 in the size of the X100F.
I hauled one of these around for years. 'Nuff said. :rolleyes-74:
. . . David
Betacam_SP_Camcorder_01_KMJ.jpg

Do any of the XE have flip out screens?

True - none have. Probably one of the reasons why I went with an XT series after having "sampled" (to use Thom Hogan's term) Fuji X in XE line. It's very useful. But XE got me sold on the smaller bodies and the XF optics, which is how many system users have migrated over. It was a low-cost and very low-risk way to judge if it was a valid move away from Nikon.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you would have been under no obligation to purchase one. And it's not as if the X-E has overly long battery life. Nor is the X-E any flavor of coat-pocket camera with anything but a very few of the available lenses attached. IMHO.

I think the point being is that Fuji *designed* the system to be that small, and adding a grip would have been in contradiction to the vision behind the system. That doesn't mean the after-party industry wouldn't react to the demand, but seeing as Fuji itself didn't see a reason (philosophically or economically) to put out such an accessory, that's a telling factor in of itself. (shrug).

I picked it up because it was a cheap and relatively inexpensive way to get into Fuji and sample the system without breaking the bank. That's how many folks migrate over - they try lower end bodies and lenses and validate it meets most or all of their requirements before going in whole-hog.

You don't buy the X system for long battery life. Anyone who's moved over from a DSLR system knows that. Which is why I carry two spare Wasabis as a minimum - they don't take up a lot of room as loose items. And they're cheap as heck, so you can refresh that collection just by forgoing a week's worth of store-bought coffees.

As for not being a coat camera - I disagree. Take the hood off the Zeiss Touit 32/1.8 and you have a very pocketable coat camera, which is one of the first lenses I sampled XE-1s and -2s with along with an 18-55. Even smaller with an 18/2. All used, so I didn't have too many qualms about running around without a hood. Even with a cheap thumb lever in the hot-shoe, it fit into my winter and spring jackets.

I think the point being is that Fuji *designed* the system to be that small, and adding a grip would have been in contradiction to the vision behind the system. That doesn't mean the after-party industry wouldn't react to the demand, but seeing as Fuji itself didn't see a reason (philosophically or economically) to put out such an accessory, that's a telling factor in of itself. (shrug).
Which makes one wonder why they made battery grips for the X-Ts, doesn't it.

Which makes one wonder why they made battery grips for the X-Ts, doesn't it.

The XEs are distinct from the XTs. Notably, the ergonomics were designed to draw in users from DSLR systems - hence the placement of the centered EVF and the controls. You said "XE," not XT. I was responding to the XE, which was how this thread was started. :)

What I think is missing from this conversation is WHY Fuji branched the XT line out. And it was to do several things - not the least of which was to appeal to DSLR users, but also open a different ergo model that would make handling much easier. Let's face it, the 55-200 on an XE is probably the limit of what I'd want to handle without additional support. Adding a 50-140 to it? Nope. It's just awkward as heck. That doesn't mean you can't. The ergo is *much better* with the XTs.

I still don't use a battery grip even on XT because the smaller footprint is part of the appeal. I'm done lugging around additional lbs of equipment for what I see as very small gain. The whole point of me moving over was to shrink my burden, not keep it.

Back