Two scenes from NE Ohio with the Leica Q.

D

dalethorn

Two very different Ohio scenes: I've passed this farm numerous times driving from Summit-Medina counties down to Amish country, and whatever photos I've taken have not been satisfactory until this time. These cows are fairly curious and will approach the camera to some extent, but then they turn shy very quickly. This farm has looked just like this as long as I can remember - back to the 1990's or earlier.

The Glamorgan Castle (a real castle) in Alliance Ohio was given to the Alliance Board of Education a few decades ago, sans most of the interior treasure that was sold off. It was built in the 1800's by immigrants from somewhere in Britain. A funny story: My wife, her mother, and myself were touring the castle in 1999, and on the tour we came across one large room where some of the Board of Education staff were meeting. I walked into the doorway and announced "As your new acting president, y'all are fired effective today." Now I don't know if they *really* took me seriously, but one of the staff scrambled over to me and said "We only meet here once a month for an hour", as though they weren't wasting a lot of time in meetings. It felt pretty good.

Edit: I didn't want to be this close to the castle, but behind me the ground dropped off 10 feet or more, so no choice...

Leica Q, f5.6, 1/1000 handheld, ISO 200.
Ohio77_s.jpg

Leica Q, f5.6, 1/1000 handheld, ISO 200.
Alliance07_s.jpg

I wonder if any of them went home that day thinking they were fired and never returned???

Like that guy on the Boston subway - he never returned. Well, it would probably have been fun to be a fly on the wall afterward - then again they might be saying some *very* rude things - probably better not to know.

Looking at them, the castle has a window air conditioner, just to the right of the front door. :dash2:

You can see a couple of large window A/C units from the left rear of the building. I don't know for sure why they didn't install central A/C, but then, A/C in schools etc. didn't happen in Ohio until at least the late 1970's. So it might be considered too costly to rig up a central A/C for that castle, since very little of the interior space is being used for people at any given time.

Back