Stroll Two's a crowd, three's a spectable. Apparently.

Interesting birds. I remember a study which followed a domesticated cat around NYC for a month. This little innocent Tabby of a cat turned into a maniacal serial killer when it left the apartment.

Yeah I can understand the birds, there are quite a few cats in my neighbourhood. Atom brings home things he catches, which is mice and we have a mouse problem anyhow. So I know he doesn't catch birds. The only time he brought home a bird was a baby one that had probably fallen from its nest, and he brought it home alive and well, to show me.

PS- What's that mane thing on Keesha?

I had to look to see what you're talking about - that's her fur. As she's gotten older, her fur (especially on her back) seems to go white if she's been in the sun. But if she's out of the sun it goes back to brown.

Going for a walk with a cat through the suburbs, I've also come to learn about the birds in the neighbourhood.

When we walk through certain territorial zones, the birds who own that zone will hover above sqawking and screeching, warning other birds in the area that they've sighted a cat in their zone.

Must be the Mynas, They do that here, too. The exotics (the brown ones who are driving out the natives and all other bird species..havent seen a sparrow or wren around here for at least 8 years) are the worst, there are moves afoot to "do something" about them. I don't care if Tom kills them, but like your Jadey, he doesn't seem interested. He did bring a mouse home, just once, alive and well, and gave it to me. However none since then because I offended him by not giving it back to play with. Go figure. Tom is actually terrified of the Mynas. He wont go out the front of the house in the daytime because of them. There will sometimes be anything up to 20-30 in the trees and on the roof and the more the screeching goes on, the more that come to join the noisy throng. I hate them. The natives (the grey ones) I think are lovely, they scream too, "CAT!!!! CAT!!!!! CAT!!!" but theres never more than 3 or 4 at once.

There always the mynas but also a smaller type of bird. Sometimes the crows fly in and have a bit of a sticky beak too.

Jadey and Atom aren't afraid of the birds, they'll try to talk with them when the birds are screeching at them. I really can't work out what they're trying to say, the sounds they make aren't like what I've heard from their vocabulary when they're speaking to me.

There always the mynas but also a smaller type of bird. Sometimes the crows fly in and have a bit of a sticky beak too.

Jadey and Atom aren't afraid of the birds, they'll try to talk with them when the birds are screeching at them. I really can't work out what they're trying to say, the sounds they make aren't like what I've heard from their vocabulary when they're speaking to me.

That chattering is a presursor to attack, or an acknowledgement that they want to attack, and can't, for whatever reason. I like to think its "you just wait til my human is out of sight, you hideous creatures!"

PS- What's that mane thing on Keesha?
I had to look to see what you're talking about - that's her fur. As she's gotten older, her fur (especially on her back) seems to go white if she's been in the sun. But if she's out of the sun it goes back to brown.

We took her out to the park this morning, beautiful sunny day. Her 'mane' pretty much turned white while we were there. Now that we're home a couple of hours, it's gone back to brown-ish again.

8622820721_c2f1728d5f_c.jpg

Went out for a walk earlier this afternoon. Jadey was enjoying the afternoon sun too much to come for a walk with us so it was just Keesha and I.

I was walking along deep in thought when a 4WD came to a stop on the other side of the road and the driver rolled his window down. I thought he was going to ask for directions or something. But no, he yelled out: "HOW'S THE CAT?"

It took a moment for my brain to process what he was on about, and then I broke into a huge grin and yelled back: "SHE'S LAYING ABOUT IN THE SUN ELSEWHERE!".

He grinned back at me and then drove off because there were other cars coming up behind him.

Jadey is famous in the neighbourhood.

Here are some earlier photos of what she was probably doing in the warm afternoon sun:

8459979489_2a10ff9c85_c.jpg

8294029732_83b302621c_c.jpg

7361087610_61220506a2_c.jpg

8447906424_3c37244c5d_c.jpg

9072412269_d09e4dc418_c.jpg

8404204715_117770df42_c.jpg

8341527009_f0fe1369d7_c.jpg

8292968377_f360b2c3f6_c.jpg

8181679205_700506dd53_c.jpg

James, I have taken many a cat photo over the last couple years, but have never captured like you have in that series...... the joy of BEING a cat. I can only hope I live my life well enough to come back as a cat in the next one.

There are some absolute beauties in this set!

Went out for a walk earlier this afternoon. Jadey was enjoying the afternoon sun too much to come for a walk with us so it was just Keesha and I.

I was walking along deep in thought when a 4WD came to a stop on the other side of the road and the driver rolled his window down. I thought he was going to ask for directions or something. But no, he yelled out: "HOW'S THE CAT?"

It took a moment for my brain to process what he was on about, and then I broke into a huge grin and yelled back: "SHE'S LAYING ABOUT IN THE SUN ELSEWHERE!".

He grinned back at me and then drove off because there were other cars coming up behind him.

Jadey is famous in the neighbourhood.

Here are some earlier photos of what she was probably doing in the warm afternoon sun:

8459979489_2a10ff9c85_c.jpg

8294029732_83b302621c_c.jpg

7361087610_61220506a2_c.jpg

8447906424_3c37244c5d_c.jpg

9072412269_d09e4dc418_c.jpg

8404204715_117770df42_c.jpg

8341527009_f0fe1369d7_c.jpg

8292968377_f360b2c3f6_c.jpg

8181679205_700506dd53_c.jpg

Back