Fuji Uggg!! So frustrated!

ManningT

Rookie
I have watched countless videos I have read countless articles, and I am still confused on whether or not to purchase a XT20 or an x100f. I understand that they are different cameras for different types of shooting. I'm looking to get into the Fuji world. I have been shooting Canon for years and I'm ready to try something new and different. I don't shoot video, I enjoy landscape, street photography, and architectural photography. I have many lenses for my canon and I mostly grab the 50 mm F1 .8. I occasionally grab a 10-18mm lens. I tried shooting with the Olympus OMD EM5 a couple years ago, but found the menu/operating system just too confusing and cumbersome. I did though enjoy the image stabilization.
What I'm looking for is a compact camera that takes sharp images has nice bokeh, and is a joy to shoot. And has some image stabilization. Any suggestions?

Welcome.

On a purely subjective level, the XT-20 is for the head, the X100 (series) is for the heart. If you have an extensive Canon setup and want something different, go for the X100F. The 23mm F2 lens is not sharp wide open at close distances, there is no IS, but what it does have is something that is lacking in so much of today's modern gadgetry and "computers with lenses" - soul.

If your looking for image stabilization your choice is made for you the X100F doesn't have it.

I'd guess the 20 would ultimately make you happier, given your list of wants. Just a guess. You can change lenses, and some of them have OIS. With the 27mm f2.8 pancake on it, it can be about the same size as an X100. With a $300 korean manual focus 12mm lens, it can shoot an honest 90 degrees, which is great for architectural and landscape shots. So if, deep in your heart, you really want that kind of flexibility, you'll be happier with something interchangeable like the 20.

Counterpoint, for the sake of consideration: The 100 wins for people who actually WANT to be limited to one lens, which isn't a bad thing. You can't keep spending money on new lenses, and you don't second guess your lens choice over and over as you're shooting... you've got one choice, so shut up and go make it work. You quickly learn what kinds of shots it excels at, and while people around you are mentally fiddling around, trying to decide what to frame and shoot, you're getting your shot and moving on. Once you let go of all the "but what if I had..." and just adopt it, the X100 is a really fluid, simple, peaceful workstream.

The Fuji camera that gives lens interchangability and OIS with a similar "DNA" to the X100 is the X-Pro2 - very well worth your consideration. I have both it and the X100T and they are different, but similar in concept. It could be argued that the X100-S-T-F is more "pure" because of the fixed lens (and leaf shutter) but the X-Pro2 is more flexible and capable.

The first major split is the one you first asked about: fixed lens or interchangeable. Once you're interchangeable, then (my opinion), your next split in the decision tree is "Rangefinder or SLR body style?" Fuji's got everything from lower end to pro in both. The XT20's usual counterpart in Rangefinderland is the XE-2S, I think. They're very, VERY similar cameras inside and software-wise.

Tell me about your shooting process. You walk up to a scene, grab your camera, and ... what? How do you LIKE to control it? Do you run full manual, or partial? If partial, which parameters do you want to control, and how (if you had a choice)? Do you need to hand your camera to someone who's not familiar with it and have them snap a few shots sometimes? Fuji has offered solutions for all of these things, which vary by model. So tell me how you shoot.

Just perused BH, and right now the XT1 is the same price as the XT-20. The T1 is a better camera by most metrics. So in SLR-Land, and on a budget, that's the ticket... $1200 with the excellent stabilized 18-55, or (I'm a bit amazed by this) $800 with the 35mm f2 weather resistant travel lens. In Rangefinderland, the X-E2S is $800 with the 18-55, which really means the body is costing you about $400. Without going used, it's going to be hard to top the capability of the X-E2S + 18-55 for $800.

Just perused BH, and right now the XT1 is the same price as the XT-20. The T1 is a better camera by most metrics. So in SLR-Land, and on a budget, that's the ticket... $1200 with the excellent stabilized 18-55, or (I'm a bit amazed by this) $800 with the 35mm f2 weather resistant travel lens. In Rangefinderland, the X-E2S is $800 with the 18-55, which really means the body is costing you about $400. Without going used, it's going to be hard to top the capability of the X-E2S + 18-55 for $800.
Thanks for finding that, I would have missed it. I'm liking the X-E2S. And the price looks nice. Thats another thing to think about.

I will respectfully disagree with this. The x-t1 is NOT the better camera. X-t20 takes better photos and has better, faster af, among other things. Yes, they're are a few pro convenience you'll miss but nothing that is going to give you a better photo. I do agree with your assessment on the X-E2S though as being the best bang for your buck camera.

One other thing to think about for op, the new x-e3 is about to be released this month. :)

The X-E3 will probably be released this year but no one really knows when. The price will probably be in the range of $900 to $1100 US quite a bit more then the $400 X-E2s.

Just wanted to thank everyone who posted. I'm still not sure which one to go with. You know, it would be much easier if I had a local shop. Leaning to the XT-20 but my gut is saying X100F.

What I'm looking for is a compact camera that takes sharp images has nice bokeh, and is a joy to shoot. And has some image stabilization. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, no IBIS and your are going to find OIS in some, but not all of the zooms. I don't think any prime has OIS except maybe the 90mm. Here's another obscure overlooked Fuji fact, if you discount SLR-like EVF hump on the X-T20, it is smaller than the X100T I recently sold and lighter also. Can't speak for the X100F weight-wise because it's not on my upgrade radar. But, possibly, with the exception of the 27mm f2.8 pancake, any lens you put on the X-T20 will be larger than the 35mm f2.0 on the X100 series.

I enjoy shooting landscapes, urbanscapes, travel photos, and the occasional portrait when I find a willing volunteer. At the beginning of last September, I decided I was only going to only use my X100T until the end of the year and actually wound up only using it until the beginning March; slightly over six months. I rarely missed being able to use my X-E2 and different lenses. The only exception is that in February, wee took a three week ocean cruise from San Juan to Barcelona, with stops in the Caribbean, Portugal, Morocco, and Spain, along the way. The only addition besides the X100T was the WCL-X100 wide-angle conversion lens that turns the 23mm into a 19mm and is something I definitely recommend for travel. So, you could do very nicely with an X100F and WCL-X100 to shoot what you want.

Of course, if you want the ability to use different lenses and don't mind the cost of building an new kit, than the X-T20 is the answer, unless you want to see what the new X-E3 offers. The X-T20 and X100F share the same sensor and image processor, so the images will be pretty much the same except for whatever lens you use with the X-T20 and I imagine the X-E3 will be the same. Supposedly, Fuji will announce the new X-E3 in less than a week.

Here are some of my X100T photos and the last two were with the WCL-X100 attached.
Misty Forest Road (1).JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Crossing The Deerfield (1).jpg
Enfield River Bank B&W.jpg
Granny's Ford.jpg
Munch Munch (1).jpg
Into The Sun (1).jpg
The Souk, Casablanca (1).JPG

I'll be damned - the XT-20 is a little more up-spec than I realized. I think the XT-10 couldn't do 8fps? I'd miss some of the physical controls, but no argument from me, the 20 is at least as good, and in some ways better.

Also, slight correction to bs1946 above: the X100 series has a 23mm f2 lens, not 35mm. I'm sure he knew.

I'll be damned - the XT-20 is a little more up-spec than I realized. I think the XT-10 couldn't do 8fps? I'd miss some of the physical controls, but no argument from me, the 20 is at least as good, and in some ways better.
No doubt with its extra megapickles the XT-20 can get you that 'better' image but for me, compared to the X-T1, it's more computer than camera. That's probably not a deal breaker for most folks though but might be for some.

This supports Bill's analysis. :D
Bill's told me in the XE-3 thread that getting that camera will not make the urge for the X100F go away and of course he's right. This X100 v interchangeable discussion just doesn't work - it's clear that both are required. Damn Fuji!

Back