Uh, oh, more test shots . . . different camera

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
testing yet another camera . . . comments?

SL1 test pix II 015.JPG

SL1 test shots 007.JPG

SL1 test shots 009.JPG

SL1 Frear Park sunset 004.JPG

SL1 Frear Park sunset 022.JPG

SL1 Frear Park sunset 029.JPG

Cheers, Jock

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's an APS-C sized sensor. And your predilection for the ability to use a zoom rules out all the APS-C fixed lens cameras. They don't look like Fuji files. So it's a Canikon DSLR most likely or you've become a Pentax man (but I don't think so).

Some sort of Rebel is my guess.

I'm guessing it's an APS-C sized sensor. And your predilection for the ability to use a zoom rules out all the APS-C fixed lens cameras. They don't look like Fuji files. So it's a Canikon DSLR most likely or you've become a Pentax man (but I don't think so).

Some sort of Rebel is my guess.

You're right; it's a Canon SL1 DSLR with 18-55 and 55-250 lenses. Both are IS STM. My initial impressions are that it is very quick -- the autofocus at least as fast or faster than the OMD -- and very intuitive. The build quality is much different than the OMD EM5 . . . no magnesium body, no finely knurled lens barrels, the lenses are, IMHO, sharper than the OMD lenses that I tried (and I liked those A LOT). Every thing on the SL1 is light, plastic, but somehow not flimsy. In addition, the SL1 has an optical viewfinder vs. the electronic viewfinder of the OMD.

The SL1 is bigger than the OMD, but it is a very small DSLR and still fits with lens in the bag that I used for the OMD.

I have a an assignment for a non-profit later this month. I shot the same event last year with the LX100 and FZ200, both of which are now gone.

In a few days, I expect to know which camera -- OMD or SL1 -- will get the nod along with my Sony HX400V. One goal of the exercise is to have a camera system where the sensor can be easily reached for cleaning.

Cheers, Jock

I have the SL1. The files are typical Canon, which I personally like and hold up well to ISO 1600, 3200 with a little noise reduction. I am a life-long Canon user so the menus are simple. I like the touchscreen but miss dedicated exposure compensation dial. You can use the screen to change variables and it isn't a big deal but I prefer the dial on the OMD. I also have the 10-18 and it is a really viable ultra-wide angle, build quality is similar to the 18-55 and 55-200. I also think the 55-200 is a great bang for the buck. I used the SL1 in Yosemite last summer. It makes for a light kit with decent files. I printed a couple A2 files from the trip and they, while not as detailed as FF, look really nice. I really hoped Canon would produce a version 2 with a tilt screen, improved OVF, sensor, and dials but looks like they are headed in the mirrorless direction with the M5. So I'm not holding my breath for a version 2 of the SL.

SL1 is a great camera. I recommended it to my brother - he's not a photo buff, just wanted fast AF for his kids w/ good IQ - and he really loves it.

With some guidance, he now has the 18-55 as well as the 24mm pancake and 50mm STM lenses (basically a 35/85 equiv combo). That kit can fit in a small shoulder bag like a Domke F5XB and weighs very little. Awesome package.

Interested to see if Canon brings out an SL2. With the new EOS M5, they may want to push buyers that way instead. Hopefully the SL series is not a one and done.

Based on this thread I got mine out this weekend. My wife and I were walking across the Big River Crossing and a young couple asked me to take their photograph with their IPhone. We couldn't get the flash to work so I made a picture of them with the SL1 and emailed it to them. This is with the 10-18.
IMG_1101Z.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back